So now I work at the Zoo as a secretary/Administrator for the Durell Conservation Trust which is pretty awesome. I've already learnt so much about stuff. My bosses (one of them anyways) are responsible for saving the pink pigeon which is pretty cool!
So basically I arrive at the Zoo and have to run across the car park and the field to this seperate farm building. Its the International Training Centre, or ITC, that I work. And there, they do these courses. I have to sort out the applications and then look after my bosses travel arrangements and stuff. They are away a lot. Right now they are in Madagascar or Mauritius or somewhere endangereded or something. The building I work in, is basically my office, their offices and a lecture hall, library, and then about 12 rooms and a kitchen and some other living stuff, as the students comes from round the world and live there to study. its a quiet time now, as its near winter, so theres no courses, and everyone is away, so its just me. And its a really old creaky building thats subsiding! Half of it is deserted and has to be kept totally clear and left derelict, as ironically, its full of rare bats which decided to move in. Also the tamarin monkeys lived there when they escaped apprently... hmm, not sure about that one though.
The girl training me was sooooo nice and super awesome. It's a shame shes leaving to go do her PHD/Masters thing. I think we'd be good mates. Unfortunately, her boat was cancelled for the weekend, as the weather here is shit right now, and the Condor ferries fast boats keep reaking (AGAINNNN) so they said she had to go TONIGHT or Monday, but the girl has lectures on Monday and really can't miss them. So tonight she goes. Of course, she hadn't packed and this was all sprung on her at 4.20pm today. 3/4 hours before she needed to be ON that boat. So my training went out of the window totally. I can make tea though and read emails and unlock doors okay. Anything other than that I am a bit lost.
But I am going ot call her on Monday and get her to talk me through stuff. And it should be quiet (well, cos its only me it will be!) until Chris and Jamie get back from Endangered islands somewhere... hopefully I would have found my feet by then...
Theres a permenant job going. I might apply, depending on how the week goes. Although I don't have five years residency and I don't know if thats on the job spec or not. The money as a perm job is about 18.5k? Which is more than RLD but less than what I am on now. This isnt a problem for me though. Unfortunately my coleague for a day found out I get way more than her (cos I am a temp) so she was annoyed. But not at me, but annoyed at HR cos they didn't use discretion. I swear some people in some jobs... I don't know HOW they got there. Well, other than sucking a lot of dick.
It's good job seemingly and I'd know I'd be doing something good and morally rewarding and meeting some interesting people. Also theres a lot of Zoo politics at the mo I have noticed. I'm going to avoid it for as long as poss! But the extreme bouts of being on your own in the off seasons like now might kill me.... radio time!! The building creaks to so it scares me a bit. Too much watching Most Haunted live I think! Hah!
I really like it there though so far. Also I get to wear my own clothes! How cool!
The Zoo is so far from town with no good normal buses meaning I need to get a lift there, but maybe I'll be able to afford a car soon, and Pat is away at the end of next week, so I can borrow her car.
I hope maybe this job might give me some much needed direction and focus in my life. It's awesome to think of the work they do, and how I can help out. I'll think about applying maybe.
In other news, I am being harassed by some other agencies to go for interviews for seemingly dull average jobs, who are desperate to see me apparently. But URGH! Finance!!! I don't want to work in finance! But they are such bullies!
Friday, 30 September 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment