Wednesday, 12 April 2006

meep

Whilst in the bath I was thinking about the places I used to go, sometimes a lot, then got overload and deemed them rubbish, but secretly they were quite fun. And I miss them loads. So here is my list.

Rockit at the Borderline
Normally awesome, especially near the summer or when it was the end of the month and people had money. £2 JD and coke and cheap entry with a flyer, which was always available from Poodle Will outside. Always Crobar for drinks first, or rather a quick shufty round to see who was out, who was saying they were going but actually would stay in there until 3am. Rockit was premyspace so when that got popular, you'd walk around going "oh hang on, I've seen that kid..." (You all most probably had a club like this near you.)

Pump Up The Voume
When it was good, it was very good. When it was bad, oh for the love of god, kill yourself. Again, a lot of scene kids, including Skeletor and such like lurking around the top bar, standing about, because there is nowhere to sit, and avoiding Jack and Ali incase they slapped you in the stomach/face/pushed you over. Girls liked to show their boobs off here more than anywhere else I ever went. Maybe because of the Eighties playful music I don't know. And because of this, you'd get a lot of wierd fucking WIERD crazy Johnny Foreigners dancing around you and your friends in the well. Those awkward poles on the dance floor were always good for your friends to pole dance on. Good days were when a gig was on before hand, and back in the day they used to let you stay in, rather than make you go out and come back in again (cunts.) Thus not having to pay. It was pricey, but the last few months I went, I think the door girl thought I was Anthony's girlfriend cos I always went in with him.

The Dome
People pretend to hate it, but back in the day it was amazing. Madball topped it off to become the ultimate club that feels like you're at a party of some mutual friends but you don't know the birthday girl/boy/host. Sitting with Ant in the booth shouting at kids, sitting with Quang in the cloakroom doing the same, giving evils to barely legal teens in stupid fishnet tights, having your shoes stick to the floor, all night, waiting forever in the loos while some gurning 13 year old trollop looses her virginity in one cubicle while her posh mate Henrietta pukes up her cider and black all over her "I'm more punk than you honest" outfit in the cubicle next door, telling strangers lies with Oli, dancing like a twat with Ria, Fleur and also on seperate times seeing them fall down the massive stair case was also hilarious. Not at the time, but still fucking funny now. Added danger/adrenaline factor when parking nearby with car theif break-in roulette.

Camden Palace
It's not KOKO or whatever! Jesus! I remember this place mainly rather well because we used to go here with Chinglanese Pete, and of course it is where (together with the Dome) where I met Eggman and Anthony. Bands played, good and bad. The best bit was running about with Anthony through the tunnels at the back playing Crystal Maze. Also I liked dancing like a twat, watching people on the balcony for hours on end. I also heard every single Electric Six song ever pretty much years before they came out ever here. At first they were cool and everyone loved to go dance to it, but come release time, I was kinda bored of it. Bar queues were long and crap. The loos were like a rabbit warren also. The wierd decorative statues were funny too. Ria liked to sort of pole dance and lap dance them. Mainly I liked wandering about being cool here (well everywhere on this list)

Army and Navy in Chelmsford
RIP. We went here only a few times. Me and RIa had a good old time. As did Olie and I and even Alice too. I don't even remember what bands I saw here. but it was during this period where I was out every night for about six months and saw a billion bands and dragged Ria out to random pubs and things in London for fun. I didn't get much sleep ever. oh we saw The Big here. They had some amazing songs, called "She's been to the tit shop" and so close after Ria's boob job, I made a big song and dance when they played it. The also liked to say cunt a lot and complain about mobile phones. Half the fun of going here was the mammouth drive and back, and then the parking and trying to get round the roundabout. (The venue was UNDER a dual carriage way flyover.)

Freak in Romford
Still not a regular, I don't know so much about this, but it made a fucking refreshing change to shittychristbad Metros on a Tuesday. Spacious club, and most like to bum into someone from 215 randomly. Again, fun was getting home (like Rockit but I forgot to mention), after dropping Ant off, going past a million Jews in the middle of the night. Cheap to get in, unlikely of car break-in, due to security in carpark. Not very busy, and full of uglies. Unless this one guy was there who I had a massive crush on at the time. (One of Ant's friends.)

And this pretty much concludes my list for now.


NO!
I forgot...
Slimenight
For long night goth on goth action. Mainly hilarious when you have been in there for a gig before hand and they let you stay for the club, which is completely different to the gig you went to. IE a Skirtbox gig then Slimenight. Something funny about seeing the punky lads you know getting into cages and bogling with corset gothic lolita goths to Sisters of Mercy. Also fun, at the same venue in Angel was the random monthly punk clubs going on next door. Bad parking though. Drinks pricey and toilets fucking grim. Worth a laugh because again, it meant a drive home via North London Jew town and seeing weeny kid jews going out for bagels at 3am is wierd.

Sublime and Take Warning were also fun too (see Dome but with Ska and lots of Johnny-I'm-more-punk-than-yous)

Sin City
Now, at the ballroom in Camden, slow to start, but lots of fun with a group of friends. Expsenvie to get in, but if you're pretty you get a lot of me looking at you, but in a slightly more forgiving than at the Underworld. Maybe it is just Camden. Fun if people you know are djing cos you get a good crowd and then you can dance about on the floor and bounce about. Which I have done with Fleur many a time.



Oh can anyone remember what that game was, which had a ball bearing in it, and you had to get it up a pretend mountain... and I think there was a monkey theme to it. It was like screwball scramble, but going upwards. Needed batteries, and lots of them big ones to make the bits move?

2 comments:

Sameranda said...

I had one called 'Arrrgh' that had a ball bearing involved but I don't recall a mountain.

I think I went to Camden Palace one or twice, we used to go to Slimelight near the Angel Islington if that means anything to you. We used to get the train up from Winchester and stay up all night. I think if I did that now it would literally kill me.

Sameranda said...

I did keep the balls, I'm going to let Molly have them.