Tonight I went to see Luminescent Orchestrii at the Arts Centre. Random because I knew they had played Mehanata and I had missed seeing them there. "Romanian gypsy melodies, punk frenzy, salty tangos, hard rocking klezmer, haunting Balkan harmony, hip-hop beats and Appalachian fiddle, all eaten and spit out by three violins, resophonic guitar, bullhorn harmonica and guitarron."
It was bloody brilliant. I love traditional Balkan music as a lot of you might know. It's so seductive. The rhythm and melody pulls you in and you're unable to resist. It's fantastic. I preferred their reworkings of the Bulgarian and Romanian and klezmer songs to their own original material, apart from the the song Sweet, which gave me goose bumps.
What is klezmer you ask? It is a traditional (Eastern European) Jewish style of music, like a folk music, that gets played at celebrations like weddings.
Sunday, 20 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment