Thursday, 24 December 2009

Christmas Eve Eve

So last night was Christmas Eve Eve, and in the Taylor house, it is tradition that they have close family friends over (well they may as well be family to be honest) and Rusty cooks a joint of beef. Rusty always gets into a bit of a flap with cooking by all accounts, and this time was no exception. A combination of her starting hours later than she had planned, and then people being late, it meant that food was not ready until 10.30pm!!! We delayed Addie going to be as it was, and as neither Patrick and I eat red meat, we made my slow roasted chicken with veggies, which (I think) subsequently got ruined because it was waiting too long. It was no ones fault, just one of those things. Rusty was getting stressed out, and swore she would never do it again etc. Once the food was ready, we actually said, look can you start without us, so we can get Addie to bed. This was at 9.40pm or something. We took our time because Addie wasn't used to a house with another 5 people in it, so we wanted to just sit upstairs with her and chill out. Thus, by the time we got downstairs and knew Addie was well and truly asleep, it was half ten. Everyone had waited for us!

I hate to eat after 9pm, let alone at 10.30pm. The chicken was dry I thought, and the potatoes weren't cooked properly. The weird thing is, Patrick and I had already told everyone and planned to make an English style Christmas dinner on Christms Day, but the other day Rusty came back from the supermarket with everything for Christmas Eve Eve etc, and then got a turkey, to do a roast on Christmas Eve! Seriously? Who the fuck wants to eat a roast dinner three days in a row? It sounds amazing on paper, but we have a shit ton of left overs from last night. I did a shit load of clearing up last night and this morning, and I am not doing that again today or tomorrow! So I think Patrick and I are going to sack it off and say no actually we're going to get Chinese instead.

I sound really aggravated but I am just tired and hormonal. I got my period for Christmas! Hooray for that.

On the way home from dropping off someone today, thanks to my wonderful indulging husband extraordinaire we went via British Aisles which is a wholesale place that distributes British stuff (at crazy prices I might add) to American people and businesses. It is open to the public, and we thought we should check it out. We usually go to British Delights, in Westford, Mass, but we thought what the heck, as it is closer to us in NH. We ended up getting a thing of Roses lime cordial, some Farley's rusks for Addie (reduced sugar ones!) (which there is nothing comparable to here for either of them in the US) and then a christmas selection box for the girls next door, some Butterkist popcorn and a couple of Crunchies and Caramel Diary Milk. All in all, we spent I think $38 which is extortionate but never mind. Oops.

Tired now. Have to keep Addie up from her afternoon nap because next door are coming round. I wish they wuld chuffin' hurry up though. I cannot nap until she does damn it!


No comments: