Monday, 12 June 2006

This is Gracie. Six months old and experiencing sea and sand for the first time (and later on a slurp of a Magnum Classic for the first time.)
She wasn't too keen. We think it was mainly the the fact her feet were sinking a bit. The water was so warm and you could smell the salt in the air. It must have been total sensory overload for the poor thing. Moments later, she was out of the water and in her mum's arms and she was fine. Comfort is such a wonderful but strange thing. The idea that no matter what, someone or something can take everything else away and make you feel protected. It amazes me the things we take for granted and that at some point we had to learn and understand. The feeling of sea water washing over you, and teh feeling of sand between your toes. Her brain must be deciphering so much information all the time, no wonder she sleeps so much. She must be exhausted. Constantly thinking about what is is she is seeing, feeling, hearing and sensing, trying to make sense of it all and learning more and more everyday about herself and her surroundings. I don't know how well their brains are developed or how conscious their thoughts are, so I wonder what a little world she is living in.

It's so humid and sticky here I can barely think. Which at the moment I think is a blessing in disguise. Work is strange, almost like the calm before a storm.

No comments: