Tuesday, 23 October 2007

Прибет! Как дела? отлкчно!!!

Russian lesson 2. My Russian classes are going well. Things I have learnt so far:

1. I cannot read my handwriting. There is no point in writing phonetic spellings of things
next to the Russian cos I come back to read it and it makes no sense or sounds nothing like it actually should!

2. There are a lot more letters than in an standard English alphabet. 33, 11 of which are vowels and 2 that don't really make a noise, they just show you how to pronounce the rest of the word. (I haven't gotten to these yet!)

3. П is like a P, л is like an L, ч is like a ch sound, н is like a n in 'ner', д is like a d sound, P is like a Rr sound, C is like a Ss sound and и is like an Eee sound. I think I got the most down there. There are some that sound the same as English ones but I won't bother going into them. Theres also some other ones varying on the и... й but has some other letters in front of it... for example aй sounds like 'eye'... eй sounds like 'yay'.

4. I know a bunch of words for drinks, and directions and hi how are you, great, excellent, okay, some places and stuff.

5. A lot of what I learnt the first week was all confused because of Elena's strong accent and my cloth ear! SOK is no JEW but JUICE. Well done Alex.

Elena my teacher is super nice and super Russian. With every new thing I get a little dose of history or Russian culture.

No comments: