In short, fucking amazing.
Because it was all a bit of a blur I am going to do a sort of summary thing so bare with me, because my memory is slightly ruined by the Agwa...
Tim and landed and got our car and found the hotel relatively quickly thanks to my good navigating skills (but hindered by extremely poor eyesight in twilight!)
Got settled in, Tim checked in with his mum and we went for food at Ruby Tuesdays which was round the corner, an American bar restaurant with poor service and who thought Tim was called Teddy... Just as we were getting back Lilja arrived at Hotel Björk and met us. Whilst I was getting ready we had Appelsin and vodka that we bought from duty free. Appelsin is sort of like orange tango and the luminous colour of Irn Bru hahaha. it goes well with the black label Smirnoff. We got a cab to Kitty's and after introductions to her awesome friends and her new Monobrow of Doom™...
Because it was all a bit of a blur I am going to do a sort of summary thing so bare with me, because my memory is slightly ruined by the Agwa...
Tim and landed and got our car and found the hotel relatively quickly thanks to my good navigating skills (but hindered by extremely poor eyesight in twilight!)
Got settled in, Tim checked in with his mum and we went for food at Ruby Tuesdays which was round the corner, an American bar restaurant with poor service and who thought Tim was called Teddy... Just as we were getting back Lilja arrived at Hotel Björk and met us. Whilst I was getting ready we had Appelsin and vodka that we bought from duty free. Appelsin is sort of like orange tango and the luminous colour of Irn Bru hahaha. it goes well with the black label Smirnoff. We got a cab to Kitty's and after introductions to her awesome friends and her new Monobrow of Doom™...
"This fucker gets me laid three times a day!!!"
About 2am our group started to dispurse, as they had work the next day... weekends in Iceland don't end pretty much. If they do, its about 5/6am. We left Organ and followed Björg and Lilja to head up to Kaffibarinn where Eva works, via another posh bar for a loo stop, it was nicely decorated though. There was a GIANT LIFESIZE HORSE LAMP in the window. Amzing. It was nearly 3 or 4am by the point we hit Kaffibarinn, and it was literally MOBBED. The place isn't big, either, it used to be a whore house and when we saw it empty, you could see it was a really old building, with a lot of character. But the amount of people trying to get into this doorway I can only describe like a surge of rats, swarming. I have not seen anything like it in my life. Totally unbelievable... not that people were like rats, but I mean people swarming into a bottle neck little door in desperation to get in. Hahah. Tim and I had been away for pretty much 23 hours or something by this point and the cold (and rain that had started) were getting to us... luckily a cab up and we hopped in and went home and got into our bed and slept like (drunk) babies.
That sums up my first day..... but tomorrow I will tell you more about it, but don't let me forget to mention what Agwa is, or tell you about the Grandmother of Rock, randoms... Icelandic Fish and Chips... sauces... temperatures in the minuses.... the worlds longest tunnel under a fjord (least it was the longest for us).... wild horses... bands... bars... random shots.... Black Death... "thats your street there".... The Blue Lagoon and the fact that not many people in Iceland have tattoos that aren't in ROCK \m/ bands, least to my coverage... awesome shops... more bars, good food... salted fish and butter... me and Tim calling everything Super Ultra/Über... taxis taxis taxis... FIT people everywhere.... Sirkus being the most awesome place I ever saw... meeting Kitty's fella... seeing famous people and hearing really random if not slightly scary gossip... the most beautiful scenery you have ever seen and Tim undressing every women he saw, apart from one bar maid at Sirkus hahaha.
Anyways, I think you can see that I am slightly inspired by my trip. I convinced now that I need to leave Jersey. The one thing that I was holding out for isn't happening anytime soon and I am so miserable here with nothing to really inspire me. Not that I am some kind of special flower or anything but I go to these really awesome places where people have little or the same as me, but are really happy. Okay that sounded really odd, but what I mean is, that Iceland and other places I have been are the total opposite of Jersey... they encourage people to do their own thing and there is so much take in and everyone feed of each other creatively. People think so differently to people here. I don't dress and act the way I do to get stared at and given a wide berth in Jersey. I hate this stiffling atmosphere and I keep thinking that anywhere is better than here. There is nothing to keep me here, aside from work and now they are paying for my studies, which I'd not be able to use there really, would be a lot to repay. The landscape of Iceland is simply breathtaking. I have not see anything like it. The music that comes from there makes so much more sense now. But this isn't me being all what a great holiday and only seeing the good. I am not stupid. It is an expensive place to live and I'd be pissing a lot of good opportunities up the wall here maybe financially in a career I have no interest in. I keep going to these awesome places and I think WOW! Everyone here thinks like I do, or they appreciate how I feel and I don't feel out of place, or lonely and even in some places with a language barrier I feel welcome and like there are things there inspire me and that would keep me occupied. Unlike here. SO MANY places have so much character and more than just changes of decor. The bars are so cosy and personal and you feel like you are in the middle of something and that any second now history might be made and things will change and your life will change with it right in front of your very eyes. There are tons of independent shops and everything has so much character. The Iceland supersitions and stories just top it all off (ask me about the expressions and the 13 father christmas and the cat that will come eat you!)
Tim and I discussed this at length and I think we both felt the same that, the small island attitude and the fake sterile environment is killing a lot of creativity around here... things that go on are sort of village hall style amateur dramatics and middle of the road tribute bands and night clubs that all look the same and the people that go to them are mostly arseholes that either want to fight you, or don't give you the time of day because you are different to them or not part of the boring well to do Island in crowd. I spent three four days in Iceland and I already have the same amount of friends as I have gathered in 2 years.
I think I need to start doing something.








1 comment:
I really want to hear about the cat that will come and eat me!
It sounds like a really incredible place, I am jealous. xx
Post a Comment