Wednesday, 12 November 2008

12 days in...

So Adelaide is nearly 2 weeks old today. I'm not sure if she got the newborn handbook that all the other babies I know got, but this little madam makes up her own rules. I was lead to believe that such youngsters slept for around 18-15 hours per day. In actual fact, Adelaide spends this amount of time eating. She doesn't sleep much of a day... maybe an hour or so here or there and typically gets a chunk of sleep from around 4/5am onwards. I don't mind this, because when she wakes, we have a change and a cuddle and then a feed and she gets into bed with me for a little longer, so I can usually grab about 5 hours per night. Although I am exhausted. Sleeping during the day isn't really an option because I have so much to do and its hard to gauge if her napping will be long enough to 1. eat 2. wash myself 3. sleep 4. do laundry etc. So most of the time, I am awake all night and all day too.

Today we went out, to town, for the first time. I was a bit nervous, but determined to get her registered. Amazingly, the law has changed so Addie has Patrick's surname, Taylor. He isn't on the birth certificate as yet because he couldn't make it there to register, but we're going to sort this out in the next month or so I expect. This was a bit of a relief for me because I was concerned that we'd get her registered with my name, get her passport issued, and then go back and get the birth cert changed, change her surname and then have to sort out another bloody passport as well. Urgh. Expense and hassle slightly averted for now.

It rained hard when we were out, luckily I had Cindy's rain cover, so Addie was nice and snug. I on the other hand got drenched. But came home with a sense of new mum achievement... and another pack of nappies from Boots and a nice dinner from Marks and Spencer. After that, the Health Visitor came round to check on Addie and me, so far so good it seems. The midwife is coming again tomorrow to check on us. Whenever they come round we have a shit night. The last couple of nights have been a nightmare, but I don't mind because I am reassured by everyone that this is just temporary (well still a good few weeks but not forever) and I just want to do the best for the guzzling baby that Patrick and I have spawned. She feeds so much I have started to give her a little formula of an evening... I make up 3 or 4oz but its waste of time really because she pukes most of it up. Saying that though, it does knock her out. Which frankly, I feel a bit bad for (because I feel like my boobs aren't good enough for her because shes always so hungry) but it is nice to not have her screaming at me for more breast milk. That is the only time she ever actually cries really, when she is hungry. She is an alert happy contented little (!) soul that is happy to be handled by people and pulls faces and lets off some killer farts. I wouldn't change her for the world, even though she drives me potty at some crazy hours of the morning sometimes.

Now she is finally here, the distance for me and Patrick is pretty excruciating. At least I am off work at present, so don't need to get some early nights (just as well really with Adelaide) but Skype and instant messenger doesn't cut it comepared to real physical contact and interactions. Addie is changing so much everyday I know Patrick feels like he is missing out on her. In actual fact he is missing out on her gammy eye and grump faces when Lady Marmalade doesn't get her diva requests met, but its the principle really. I mss having someone to share the load with physically and emotionally, although the girls here have been great, making sure I eat and getting me drinks when I am feeding the baby for hours at a time, but I miss him. He is a wonderful man and I am excited as to how 2009 will pan out for us and the family that we now are. I know this is my own fault and considering all that has gone on I am lucky to have him 'on board' as it were, but it's not easy. Saying that, parenting isn't impossible, thousands of people do it everyday, more than once, and I love that little person we created, and I couldn't imagine her not in my life and one day when I am not living where I am struggling the way I am now, I'll be grateful for everything that I have had to deal with this last year.

God I am tired. Also, I am so glad for the internet on my maternity leave. Not only can I shop and keep up with current affairs etc, I can download a crap load of tv and films to watch. Frisky Dingo pretty much saved my sanity in the maternity ward.

1 comment:

tattooedg33k said...

BOOOSH!!!!!!

(i <3 frisky dingo)