Saturday, 6 February 2010

Immigration stuff

I am getting all my bits ready for interview time, which is for me 1st March but I have already hit a problem! I am so sick all these forms and hoops, and if I get clear of one, I hit another 2, be it to do with me or Adelaide. I can't wait for it to be all done so me and Patrick can relax a bit.

I didn't think I'd get my date so soon, so only this week started to look into a joint bank account with us. We went in (DCU is where my husband banks) and they said they couldn't even add me to his existing account without a SSN or tax number. I didn't know until AFTER my I-94 expired that I could have gotten a social security number with that, as stated on this forum and also on the social security website immigrant section so don't as yet have one.

The teller said that they could create a joint account/add me with either a SSN or a tax number but I know that by law, an alien individual cannot have both an ITIN and a SSN... From my timeline (and me being optimistic) I am hoping to hear about my EAD any day now. I note from the IRS website that they have a temporary hold on issuing any new taxpayer numbers until 30th May, so my idea of applying for one before I got a SSN number is now void.

How long does it take to get social security number? When I get my EAD in the mail I can go down to the local office, and apply but I don't know too much about what happens then... Will I get a number straight away or will they send me something in the post a few weeks later, depending if they have to check my details with the DHS?

Patrick for now ordered another debit card (in his name) and has given it to me (which I think is unheard of in the UK!) for use in the meantime (thank god because I am sick of asking for a bit of cash here and there when I need to go out!) and ideally we can get it sorted before the interview. (I'll admit me and husband have been a bit slack, but we have been trying to sort out our daughters citizenship at the same time.)

Aside from the account, we have the usual pack in the process of being prepared; copies of our original application, medical insurance documents, my gym membership (from his bank account), his life insurance with me as the beneficiary, copy of car insurance with my name listed, our daughter (!), photos etc. But as we are currently living with his parents we do not have a lease in our name, or something else similar that I personally would consider a major piece of paper evidence that we are a legitimate married cohabiting couple. I'd like to think that when we have the interview they will see from our body language that we are bona fide and I can easily explain why we don't have this and that sorted out yet, but I worry that it would just sound like excuses and would count heavily against us to anyone reviewing our case. I just want it to all go well and not have to stress about these things any more! I want to be working again so we can achieve The Dream!


2 comments:

Fawn and Flower said...

When do you think you'll be able to work? Aw, it'll be like a whole new life! I'm so happy for you that this is wrapping up. I can't believe what a pain it all is.

It's just a Monday said...

It just sounds so bloody hard for you guys. I think I have said before, I honestly don't think I could take all the stress.

Your dream looks fantastic by the way. I would like one of those cars too. Or even a house that big!

xxx