Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Time for an update

So boys and girls, not much to say at the moment, been applying for jobs. So far, got one rejection (this morning) which was actually a really nice personalized one from Patrick's work. Basically saying thanks, but they went with someone else that had a bajillion years worth of experience and who had previously known the boss from another engagement and they wanted to make an offer instantly. So really, I can't compete with that in this instance. But the wording was nice in the email and I wasn't actually expecting to get any rejection letters at all, in the sense that I thought I'd not hear anything at all from potential employers if they didn't want to give me time of day.

In other news, this weekend, I did Patrick's taxes. Technically my taxes as well. I worked very hard with Turbo Tax and it got filed okay, and was accepted by the IRS. Hmmm. I have been very nervous since Saturday (when I filed it) incase it was wrong. Patrick made me doubt myself but really I actually enjoyed doing it as it got my brain going again and for a few hours I felt like a normal functioning adult once again. Hoorah!

I checked on the IRS website and it currently says:
We have received your tax return and it is being processed. Unless we find mistakes or you owe other taxes, you should receive your refund by April 6, 2010.
I hope for my sake there isn't any problems or major mistakes because I'll never live it down otherwise. NEVER. EVER EVER EVER. And technically as we are married now Patrick had to file as married (his initial concern that he should have filed as head of house hold or still as single).

News from home is that my sister-in-law got her immigration stuff sorted. The Home Office lawyer/representative came with no paperwork by all accounts so that must have worked in their favor has well hah! I'm pleased for my brother and Mai. The judge recommended indefinite stay (much like my green card I guess) and said it was very nice to start the morning with a 'nice' case. We'll see what my brother and Mai do now going forward.

It is my birthday on Thursday and I am feeling particularly not bothered about it. I got Patrick some cool presents that for once I knew that he wanted. He keeps asking me what I want, but I can't get beyond the fact that we have no money and the things that I really want are big things, life changing things that we'll get to eventually; a job and a car and a house of our own and to not have my ulcer aggravated by the comings and goings of my sister in law. I know that sounds like such a martyr statement, but there you go. That is how I feel and since I've had Adelaide I've really lost the ability to throw caution to the wind and actually just spurge cash on stuff for the sake of it and if I have to tell people what I want or think about it so much, I then manage to tell myself that I don't actually want it as I'm thinking about it. There you go. If I have to think about it, I probably didn't want it in the first place!

But I am telling you now, if I don't get a cake I'm going to be very upset.

No comments: