So Easter is upon us, and this is really my first American Easter. I am surprised that for the most part, no one really knows much about it, in the sense that Jesus died on Good Friday, was dead for a while and then rose again on Easter Sunday. Don't get me wrong, because I am not religious whatsoever, but in the UK, this weekend is a long bank holiday weekend. It's pretty churchy and TV on Friday and Monday usually has some religious bible epic movie on at some point. I don't understand how the Easter Bunny came along and how they fit into the equation, let alone those giant retarded Easter baskets that are on sale in places like Target and Walmart.
You will be lucky to find a hot cross bun, let alone a decent one. Oh how I miss a decent Marks and Spencer hot cross bun.
Patrick's family aren't religious at all as far as I tell immediately, although like my Dad, Patrick's mother was brought up as a catholic I think. But there was talk of Easter baskets. I think I upset some people when I said outright that I didn't care. Really, I mean, what is the point exactly? It's just crap for the sake of crap. Christmas I've succumbed too, because really, everyone does Christmas and it can be a nice family time. Everyone gets nice gifts and some time together. Don't get me wrong, I like candy and and chocolate, and the UK is surely a forefront leader in chocolate eggs, but I just don't get it.
My main reasons for not liking Easter or wanting to make a big deal of it are as follows:
Wow as this post has gone on I have gotten angrier and angrier. I think I am only riled up because I hate Easter and I couldn't get anyone here to give a toss about Guy Fawkes night and had to fight tooth and nail for anyone other than Patrick to even eat a pancake, let alone be involved in the making of one! Maybe I am just bitter because I am the minority here? I know I have to adapt and fit into life here, and for the most part I think I am doing well, but this is just silly. It would be nice if I could get my point across without sounding like a massive retard, but I can't help that my thoughts seem completely nonsensical. I respect their beliefs and decisions, maybe mine might be in time too.
Also, I don't think anyone even knows about Wet Monday! (This Monday coming) This I learnt about living in Jersey being friends with some Polish people. I think some people in America might celebrate it, because its of Roman Catholic origin, originally called something like Dingus/Dyngus Day? Basically there are lots of water 'pranks'. Lots of wet ladies in Jersey on Monday, you watch.
You will be lucky to find a hot cross bun, let alone a decent one. Oh how I miss a decent Marks and Spencer hot cross bun.
Patrick's family aren't religious at all as far as I tell immediately, although like my Dad, Patrick's mother was brought up as a catholic I think. But there was talk of Easter baskets. I think I upset some people when I said outright that I didn't care. Really, I mean, what is the point exactly? It's just crap for the sake of crap. Christmas I've succumbed too, because really, everyone does Christmas and it can be a nice family time. Everyone gets nice gifts and some time together. Don't get me wrong, I like candy and and chocolate, and the UK is surely a forefront leader in chocolate eggs, but I just don't get it.
My main reasons for not liking Easter or wanting to make a big deal of it are as follows:
- Now I am not religious but I respect other peoples' beliefs. It is surely the most holy of times? Good Friday Jesus died on the cross. Easter Sunday Jesus came back alive and got out of that cave they put his body in. I think its a little disrespectful all those people that are religious and take it seriously. YES I KNOW the Easter Bunny isn't an Easter thing as such, its an adopted Alsace tradition and just sort of happens to fall around the same time. I just can't help but feel a tacky basket filled with tissue paper and some cheap toys made in China wrapped up with 1 weeks RDA of sugar really has any point at all.
- If you were not brought up in a god-fearing house where I grew up, Easter was BORING. and will always to me be exactly that. Nothing was open. Nothing to do. It wasn't quite Spring but it wasn't warm enough to go out. Your parents were most likely doing DIY and dragging you around the UK equiv. of Home Depot (B&Q). Everyone else was at church or having to go to their aunties etc for Sunday lunch. Neighbours wasn't ever on either.
- It's silly! Like Christmas! But I can't avoid Christmas because it dominates a whole month or more and I'd never take that away from Adelaide because the build up as a kid is very exciting and she'd be ridiculed at school being the kid with Scrooge for a mother who doesn't let her celebrate Christmas.
- She is 17 months old. You could give Adelaide a thumb tack and a hand grenade and she would love you for it, and then instantly forget tomorrow. She really won't know any different. Sure when she is older maybe we can reconsider. It's ridiculous right now. Also, thanks sounding like you are going to ply my child with candy all day, when you know my thoughts on that, especially when you know you won't be the one that has to deal with the clean up and the hyperactivity and the come-down later on at bedtime.
- My birthday has been on and off Easter weekend ever since I was a kid. (Also UK Mothers Day sometimes falls around this time) Nothing ruins a kids birthday growing up more (except having your birthday on Christmas) than having a party and for your birthday and having people not be able to go because they have to go to church or to some relatives for Easter dinner etc. Also, I cannot tell you how many years people copped out on a present (which is a big deal when you are a kid) and gave me an Easter Egg instead. No bloody wonder I was as big as I was growing up. And another thing birthdays during Easter holidays/spring break also suck. THEREFORE I HATE EASTER and its thunder stealing ways. There I said it.
- Adelaide gets spoilt (apparently this isn't a word in the US dictionary! Go figure!) rotten ALL YEAR ROUND. We just had mine and Patrick's birthday and this week especially she has done very well. My Dad sent me some money, which I already wrote about. Patrick did very well from that, as did Addie because I have bought her a few bits this week as I was shopping for Patrick. She got a new ball, which she loves (for now at least) and an Honkers toy thing (he is a character from Sesame Street. Not that she watches it, but she liked the look of him and I couldn't find a Grover who she LOVES from Play Wth Me Sesame). She is always getting new books and crayons. Seriously, this girl is spoilt rotten and I think we need to start keeping an eye on that. Patrick and I are very much the parents that if we wanted to get someone something, we would. We wouldn't rely on a holiday or the rest of the nation and peer pressure to tell us too. Heck, we both forgot Valentines Day this and UK Mothers Day. Adelaide still has a lot of Christmas presents unused behind the sofa because she can't physically play with them all. So we are just bringing them out every so often for her.
Wow as this post has gone on I have gotten angrier and angrier. I think I am only riled up because I hate Easter and I couldn't get anyone here to give a toss about Guy Fawkes night and had to fight tooth and nail for anyone other than Patrick to even eat a pancake, let alone be involved in the making of one! Maybe I am just bitter because I am the minority here? I know I have to adapt and fit into life here, and for the most part I think I am doing well, but this is just silly. It would be nice if I could get my point across without sounding like a massive retard, but I can't help that my thoughts seem completely nonsensical. I respect their beliefs and decisions, maybe mine might be in time too.
Also, I don't think anyone even knows about Wet Monday! (This Monday coming) This I learnt about living in Jersey being friends with some Polish people. I think some people in America might celebrate it, because its of Roman Catholic origin, originally called something like Dingus/Dyngus Day? Basically there are lots of water 'pranks'. Lots of wet ladies in Jersey on Monday, you watch.








2 comments:
I like easter cos I get presents instead of eggs! my parents are silly haha!
i had new saucepans and a frying pan this year (early cos of moving!)
yay!
We should have virtual british holidays together - we can skype and make pancakes and all sorts of other trivial events :) x
Hahaha have only skimmed this, but now I wish I hadn't asked the first question that came into my head on formspring! I am being summoned for painting but I will be back to read later xx
Post a Comment