Friday, 18 November 2011

Ulcerific!

I have another ulcer and it is making me miserable. I have to just let my medicine fix me and hope for the best. I am sure it'll get better now I have changed jobs (start Monday!) and don't work for a bunch of dick bag bosses. We'll see. One of my blood results came back with a dodgy reading for something that could imply gallstones. No thanks.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

no dickbags = good. gallstones = bad. ugh!

xoxo
http://tinylittlehappies.blogspot.com/

Fawn and Flower said...

Oh shit! I'm sorry... so, what do you normally do for ulcers? Is it just a liquid medicine that you drink, or do you take pills? How long before it starts working? I'm really curious because I've been wondering if I have an ulcer lately.

Yay new job!

Alex said...

thanks Chrissy!
Coralene: well after the first ulcer episode I had, after a couple of months I had an endoscopy and I actually had a bunch of them. By the time I had the endoscopy I had been on medication for at least 2 months. I was prescribed a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) which basically limits the amount of acid your stomach produces, giving the (what are essentially) open wounds a chance to heal... so you start to feel a bit better once that kicks in cos your stomach isn't going mental. It can take months for them to heal. After a while the first PPI I was prescribed stopped working: omeprazole, which is available over the counter for heart burn in 14 day courses at 20mg doses (but with an ulcer you'll likely be prescribed 40mg to 80mg a day) so I was prescribed esmeprazole or something like that (Nexium) and also something called Carafate which I have to take 4 times a day, either an hour before food or on an empty stomach and is a giant horse pill haha. I also drink a lot of pepto bismol. They say you shouldn't take stuff like zantac with ppis but I can't remember why. I also lost a lot of weight very quickly, which is when they take ulcer symptoms seriously. Last time I lost 40lbs give or take, but time time around it kind of came out of nowhere and I've dropped 12lbs in 2 weeks, so I think I caught it early. I've never had like heartburn or anything like that... which people don't seem to really understand, its just like my insides are BURNING. I was also bleeding internally which seems to have stopped for now. I am currently miserable and feel super bloaty and in pain in my stomach/upper abdomen and wake up at stupid times feeling like I could drink a fire extinguisher. I have to eat a very limited bland diet, which you might be okay with as a vegan, because its no dairy... but also no fat, no caffeine, no coffee or tea or decaf tea or coffee, no mint teas, no booze, no cigarettes, no processed meats, no raw veggies (but steamed, frozen or canned are fine) no gravys, spicy, certain herbs are out, no nuts, no granola, wholemeal bread but no grains etc. Basically anything that means my stomach has to work at breaking it down. No citrus fruits, nothing tomato based, no carbonated drinks, no chocolate (*cries*) no biscuits, cookies, heavy sugary things, no wild rice (but normal rice is fine, basically all pastries and croissants, crackers, bran cereals or bars, certain vegetables like lettuce and broccoli and cucumber (there are a bunch actually),... basically anything else on this list: http://heartburn.about.com/library/np_ulcerbadfoods.htm

In my experience it gets worse before it gets better, so if you think you have an ulcer go get checked out and talk to your doctor. An ulcer (or several in my case) left on its own can lead to terrible problems, like perforating your stomach and building up scar tissue and bad stuff. You might just have GERD... that Patrick has... that also needs to be taken care of and looked at!!