In real life or Facebook friends of mine will be following my latest stomach woes, which started happening more often this last month out of nowhere. I was pretty sure it was an ulcer again, but I felt different, and the pain would come out of the blue so intense, and no medication would help. not even drinking a bottle of Pepto.
So, Veteran's Day weekend we went out to see friends in Rochester. I spent the car ride there, and the first nigh in agony. Keeled over, in the fetal position. Friday I wasn't much better and slept all day. Saturday night I managed to eat some chicken and rice just about, although still felt like shit. Went to the Docs the following Wednesday and spoke with my doc. Like me he probably thought it was an ulcer, but agreed the symptoms were different and said that if the medication he prescribed didn't work to go back in 2 weeks and they would schedule an abdominal ultrasound as one of my blood tests (for bile and stuff) came back a little elevated, and that could suggest gall bladder issues. I didn't want to fuss or worry about it, so I dropped off my prescriptions and waited for them to be filled. Turned out that one of them was pushed back by our Insurance and to this day I still don't have it. That Wednesday night I got sick again, and was barely in work the Thursday (my last day at Soldier). Patrick looked after me all night and Friday, which we both had off. I was still in a lot of pain, but thanks to the baby weening sized portions of rice and plain potato. We even went to see a movie (Immortals... wasn't bad... good to look at but basically a gay looking sword and sandal epic) and the weekend went pretty well too.
Monday I started my new job. I got bought lunch, which was a chicken stir fry, but I only ate the chicken (hardly) and the rice and left all the "bad" veggies and asked for no soy etc. Well, by 4pm I was a MESS again. In agony. During the night it only got worse, rather than ease off. I went to work, as it was only day 2 of my new job, but it was obvious to all I was in a state. My two colleagues sent me home at 3pm. Patrick wanted to me to get ahold of the docs. After a lot of calling and calling to leave voice mails, I finally got through to someone. They said they were going to order the ab. ultra sound but if it was as bad as I thought it was, or said it was, I should go to the ER. Initially I was reluctant to go as I've never been to an American ER, and I didn't know what to expect or if they would laugh at me. Patrick took me to Lahey Clinic in Burlington, where they have ER department. It felt like I was there for HOURS at first. I spent most of that time crying and keeled over. There was even some ladies in there, noting and commenting on how bad a time I was having. I went back and forth, having bloods taken, my insurance details taken, urine test, all whilst crying. I finally got taken to a bed and looked at and poked at. They sent me for an ultrasound and the technician is allowed to tell me, but she showed me and finally after I stopped bugging her she shared with me her opinion (which was spot on).
In the ER. I had SO much blood taken and it took one women 4 attempts to get anything from my left arm.
In the end they could only take it from the back of my hand.
Patrick had to get Addie from daycare and joined me in my gown and bed, where I had more blood taken and an IV fitted, the Dr showed Patrick the scans. My entire gall bladder was a MESS. Inflamed and full of stones, namely one giant one blocking the duct. So it was time to have it out. Some people can cope with stones, but mine was blocked, and scar tissue had built up, and it was stretched out 50% bigger than it should have been. I had to stay the night, as they couldn't do the surgery straight away. So I was operated on Wednesday, in the afternoon. I was supposed to go third but my surgeon, Dr Rosenblatt bumped me up as he knew how long I had been waiting. The operation itself usually takes 30 mins to 1hr and with everything else, a total of 2 hours, but I was wheeled in and knocked out at 1.30pm... and I didn't come around until 5.30pm/6pm. It took longer than it should have because the Gb was wedged into the side of the liver and covered in so much scar tissue, it took them an hour to cut that alone. The Doc said it was in such a sorry state he reckons that all of m stomach problems we caused by my gall bladder.
I feel much better but have been on a host of painkillers all day: I had morphine via my IV and then vicodin (but that made me itchy) so now I have percoset or whatever the generic is for that. You know what else is weird? I have four holes in my stomach two on the side and two in the middle. One of which is right through my belly button.
When they make the holes and put in the camera and tools, to give themselves more air they pump carbon dioxide into your body cavity or under your skin, so they can see things better and the air can't just get farted out, because its not within anything, just like, under your skin so your belly feels really big and if you sit up, it all floats up to your shoulders and makes your shoulders hurt.. wierd huh?
I cannot explain how much better I feel already. I can't remember a time when I didn't feel sick or awful after eating. I feel like I can start to try and enjoy food a bit better now, like I got a new lease on life or something (maybe not as corny though) and not like I am slowly poisoning myself Also! I got to keep 2 of the stones! Dr Rosenblatt said if could find any, he would let me have some... although I think they have to send stuff off to get biopsies etc. Seriously, on the ultra sound, the GIANT one that was blocking the GB was the biggest, but the two he gave me are the size of chickpeas or peanut M&Ms. They are really dark, because they are made of bile. You can get other color ones, which would mean they were made of cholesterol or something like that.
Not sure what else to tell you about... not much has gone on. I hope my work are forgiving... I should be okay to go back to work on Monday. Thank gawd for a 4 day weekend!!
Addie is with Patrick's parents as of last night, today and hopefully tomorrow too. I am experiencing shortness of breath but I finally ate some food today (they wouldn't let me go otherwise) and I gave that a good go! It was baked fish and some steamed veggies... and jelly for pud! I gave that a good go and I didn't feel so weak and washed out after that. Getting up and down is very difficult, but I'm getting there.
Today. Ready to go home
And now I am home, with a heating pa on my shoulders. The hospital staff were so nice and friendly. I felt really looked after. If Patrick wants to get out of Thanksgiving next year, maybe we can work on my spleen hahah!










5 comments:
Weird question, but where does that carbon dioxide go?? Does it come out the holes? haha I'm worried about your shoulders I guess! Does it make you look like you have shoulder pads? This is very disturbing to me! LOL
p.s. glad you got it all figured out in the end, it sounds like it was pretty terrible!
oh my! no wonder you've been poorly! Glad it all got sorted in the end.
Once you're all better, eat a butt tonne of bread and all the other bad stuff :) x
I am also intrigued by the carbon dioxide mystery. I'm picturing you with a little Ethiopian tum...?? You get to feeling better soon!
well: Nova and Coralene... the air they put in you is just sort of under the the skin. it doesn't get into any of your organs, so when I lie down for a while it makes my stomach really tender and swollen and solid. If you sit up for a while, your shoulders start to hurt! SO WEIRD. You can't see any comedy style budges though, it just makes the area very sore to touch and hurt a lot. After a couple of days it gets pushed out through your skin. THROUGH THE SKIN!!!
THROUGH THE SKIN! NOOOOO
Post a Comment