Thursday, 15 September 2005

My email to Nicola

Hi Nicola

(You must think I am the most high maintenance temp you have in your books...) I have a question, if I have signed the assignment letter is that binding like the contract? And when it says the clients discretion and with no date, does it depend on what the client says?

I presume it is? Basically I ask because I was offered a job today with RBSI, to start this Monday. (But I am not even sure I want it so don't panic!)

It's pretty much identical to the one I will start on Monday, assisting the call centre (*shudder*) people, doing admin, same money;£8 an hour, but going perm over time..

I ask as I am not sure what to do, and I really don't want to upset you and Excel, you are the only people who have given me any work, and I think I like SC. (Considering I don't particularly working in finance/banking. I much prefer Trust work, as theres more of a personal and more interesting element to it, rather than pure figures.)

I do have some doubts with temping at the moment though; I obviously need the money so am happy to do it at the minute but ideally would like to get settled at a Company so I can feel part of a team, really start to learn some new skills and make some friends (as I'm pretty lonely at the moment as all my old friends have moved away.)

I know when I registered I specified the lowest rate I would accept which was I think about 20K which is about £10ph, and I know sometimes these things can't be helped, but I'm worried that if I stay at SC of a period of time I will be stuck at £8 an hour. A week at £7.50 doing filing is okay here and there, as I want to help Excel to help me so to speak, and as I already said, if there is not much on I should take what I can when I can. Also I'd like you to think that regardless of what you give me, I'd always do a good job, and secretly I like filing.

Am I allowed to say no when you offer me appointments because of money? I don't want you to think I am being difficult nor money orientated... I know it wasn't very professional of me to ask to leave KB early, and it wasn't because I didn't feel up to the job, it was because I felt I wasn't being used to the best of ability in the
department due to training from them. Since I have left them I have been offered jobs of a lower wage, which I know can't be helped sometimes, I just want to make sure that I haven't upset Excel or am somehow being punished!

I'm just a bit worried that my appointment at SC might be for a few weeks and I cannot physically survive on £8 an hour for that long as I am currently the only breadwinner for me and my fiance. I understand totally if you think I am only worth a certain amount; compared to temps with more experience or stronger skills, but I would like some feedback. I know when I come to see you guys on my lunch break I might not look so presentable (dash dash through town!) or to look at me I might just not seem that good, but I do put a lot of effort into my work and give it my all. And from what people have told me, everyone I have worked with or for, have been pleased with my output and even JTC would have kept me if they could.

I sorry if you think I am being a pest, I just wanted to clear up a few matters. I'll call you first thing (quick! Divert!) just to make sure everything is okay and you don't think I am bonkers.

Also, Barclays haven't found my money. Which I think is kind of funny, well it would be if it wasn't mine they lost.

Kind regards, Alex.

No comments: