Wednesday, 14 November 2007

The Last full day in Iceland

Well. As per most days, we woke up worse for wear. Tim especially who passed out whilst I internetted and Flickr'd some pictures before I was too drunk. We managed to to get out of Reykjavik and head out into the countryside, going north. We didn't get very far because Iceland is huge. Like really huge. We went to a townish place and realised we'd hit a dead end and then carried on round the coast. We stopped to take pictures on the way. I cannot describe the beauty of the vast landscape... there was sweeping hills, well gentle gradient ones and then suddenly BOOM! Black rock tipped with snow and disappearing into the mist around it. Puddles had frozen and it was much colder out of the city. Beautiful rather than barren, almost like something magical was lingering around. I sound über gay I know, but it is true. I suspect it has something to do with the Hidden Folk (Icelanders are very into their folk lore and stuff. Hence the 13 Yule Lads and the Christmas Cat etc. Road's have been famously diverted round things to not upset elves and such like.)



Speaking of elves, this is the only way I can fathom that the tunnel we drove through was built. It basically went on forever. I filled my memory card trying to record it so you'd believe me. 6km long, going down and down and down and down and the up and up and up again.



Apparently their are longer ones too! We paid 900 ISK to go through it, which is about 7/8 pounds I think, but seriously, totally worth it when you saw it, plus it saved a huge amount of time because otherwise you'd have to go round the mountain, fjord and ocean it went under. Insane. I cannot fathom how long or how much that would cost. Oh! And the horses just roaming around... amazing. We only drove an hour out and an hour back in, as we had heard from Kitty, who after having a stressful night, I wanted to see that she was okay and firstly we had arranged to go to the Blue Lagoon, which is the other side of the Reykjavik.

On the way back in we had a Subway, which was amazing. Tim enjoyed looking at some girls, bless him. He was in his element in Iceland. Fitties as far as the eye could see. We grabbed Kitty, and then had a delay slightly as Eva bless her, was late, and Kitty, bless her, could not fathom where the fudge Eva lived haha. Eventually we figured it out and were on our way. The Blue Lagoon is half the way to the airport, but you turn off mid way and drive into what is nothing. The middle of Iceland in parts, well a lot of it, is just lumps of huge volcanic black rock. It is amazing. Some of it is covered in moss, but mostly rock. On the approach you can see giant plumes of steam and as you get closer it looks like an evil genius's lair. The smell of sulphur filled the car, just as Kitty had warned and we got used to it very quickly. In we went. The girls said it was expensive, but for the experience, I would have easily of paid more, even though I am skint.



You pay, get your wrist band, that locks the lockers etc and get a sachet of super cream. You change, not before showering completely, into your swimming costume. The complex looks really nice and almost space age. I didn't get any decent pictures, but you can check out the Blue Lagoon's website and see for yourself. The wind had picked up and opening the door to go outside was quite hard... then you have to spirit into the lagoon because frankly, you'll freeze your bollocks off. The water is this lumious turquoise... and contrasted against the rocks it looks amazing. Apparently when they were pumping water, and filtering the excess minerals out, they found that it didn't drain through the rocks, so pools formed. Then later they foun out it was good for you, and the spa opened. They also have a special building that deals with special with skin complaints, as it really helps psoriasis!



There are HOT thermal currents that you can sit in and get toasty or just nice warm bits.
They have "crap" as Kitty put it, to put on your face, which is good for the skin. The cold air helps that dry and then you wash it off. I wouldn't take it off the bottom of the lagoon (its really slimey and covered in sediment) or you'll get a pube or two. We then went for a hot steam, and I mean not like at the gym, I mean 'Tim can't breath he has to get out soon afterwards" hot. THEN we got a Víking beer! I wish we had a picture of us sitting in the pool with our beers, but this was a hindsight. They recommend you don't stay longer than an hour and a half in there, but we had to go a bit early cos Kitty had a meeting that night for work so we were gone after some photos and a sit and relax. We showered again and used our sachets of goo that they gave us. You have to wash the stuff out your hair if you can cos it makes it really dry.

On the way our, Kitty got some dried fish and butter, a local snack which at first I thought was minging but actually was nice and I have been craving it ever since.

We dropped off Kitty and Eva stayed with us. We went back to our hotel and freshened up, and then went for a drink in some bars... I am not sure of the order, but Eva wanted to make sure we saw some of the bars we didn't quite make, so we had a beer in Boston, Barinn, and I am sure other places.. Oh! Kaffibarinn, of course. That is where Eva works. We got some top gossip from Eva whilst in there, but I am not one to repeat that kind of stuff here, and then we went to meet Kitty, but actually bumped into her outside Barinn, with Daníel Ágúst. Who was shorter than I had imagined. I don't mean that in a bad way, just in his photographs, he looks really tall. I think it is because facially he has such striking features and has such a presence, you just presume that he is this giant man, a force to be reckoned with. He seemed so timid and shy, like a mouse. I think this might have been because I was on sensory overload and make noises at his and Kitty's direction and it was raining at cold. Then after Barinn we went for food at Shagrilar and I danced as I ate a very nice Indian meal that Tim bought for us. Eva and I were very grateful, especially as it cost about £75! From there we went to Sirkus which has to be my most favourite place I went to in Reykjavik. It is so individual and cosy and basic. They played some awesome music and everyone was happy and the bar staff were so friendly. I could clearly see why it was so popular on a Friday or Saturday night and could easily imagine people dancing on chairs and bashing into one another having a dance and having fun.

From there we said goodnight and goodbye for now to Eva, as we needed to go home and pack to get up for our early start to drive to the airport and to check in.



The next day we left the hire car in the wrong place and forgot to fill the tank up. I am too scared to check my credit card bill to see how much they charged me...

We bought some Black Death at the airport and boarded our plane. Both utterly moved by our weekend and how quickly it had gone. Tim has already planned to come back in a few weeks. he has his operation to have his pins removed tomorrow so it should be something else for him to look forward too. Me? I want to come back in Jan but I already planned to go see friends in San Francisco and NY in March again.

I have been emailing various people today, and I am seriously considering quitting my job and asking for a career break or something. I am not sure how this will fare, what with my studies. But it has become quite apparent that I can't stay here anymore. I hate the person I have become, and am becoming. Everyone of my friends here have noticed a change, dramatically worsened since I got back from Portland a few weeks ago. I feel sorry for Chloë who gets the brunt of it, but so do people I work with. I wish I wasn't so snappy and mean to people, but I think it is because I resent them or think them stupid or something for being happy here. Stupid I know. Anyways, I am starting the ball rolling. Another change of direction for me. Like a little seed in the wind I seem to blow about never settling. Although so far I have done well this time, 2 and a half years nearly!

I don't mind taking a step backwards financially, I mean I will find a way and my Dad seems to get the jist of Olie and his life, so why not me? I know he only wants the best for us but I cannot do what I do if it makes me happy. I looked into some au pair jobs, and emailed some places to see if I was too old etc. Atleast with au pairing I could see the country, keep busy, have my food and lodging paid for and earn some cash, from there, we'll see. I wouldn't want a job where I was living miles from a main town (Reykjavik for example) but you get the jist. I'm good with kids, I'd have company and it would be easier to work out the language being with kids all day as they'd be at my beginner level haha!

I miss that place. The statues scattered everywhere... the smell of the clean air. The smiles on peoples faces. The way it made me feel.

No comments: