Sunday, 31 August 2008

Sunday

Usual Sunday blah feeling today. The weather wasn't great but I had some fun company in the shape of Mel and Nola. We went for some adventures and were sorely disappointed by what we could find, Lion Park (no Lions) and a German bunker supposedly open to the public but we missed it apparently. But we did manage Jersey cream teas, with scones and jam, cream, butter and some additional mini cakes on a stand with a pot of tea. I am now making dinner but I don't know why because I am full of scones. Then we sat in the pub for a while talking about stuff. I like those girls.

Yesterday I did some shopping for baby stuff and died in the heat. I got my maternity grant through which isn't a lot but makes a difference. I learnt a lot from one of the girls here about the benefits system in Jersey. I expect it is the same everywhere, but I am totally shocked and appalled by the who thing. There is no incentive for people here to get a job. All of the women here are financially better off than me because I pay taxes and social security on my income, and I have to pay my rent myself. One women, with 2 children and one on the way takes home about £2000 a month, with no deductions. Her rent is paid for, and what she does have to pay, she can take from the money they give her in income support for her and each of the amounts she get for her children. This is paid in weekly instalments. If she started a job, it would stop automatically. The threshold is set so low that people have to basically choice one or the other to work or live on handouts. I like my job and it would make me very sad to give it up. Not that I would be entitled to anything because my earnings are over that threshold but also because I have not been here 5 years. I'm still worried about how I will cope, but I am sure I will find a way, people always do.

Friday night I saw Step Brothers and thought it hilarious.

My baby is getting bigger and my belly is getting pretty huge. I have my first class tomorrow after work. When I felt my belly the last few days, I could feel little bumps like toes. It was strange, but nice. (That is all the baby talk for now.)

No comments: