Monday, 23 November 2009

Medical part 1 completed...

... and $290 lighter in the pocket. We arrived at a little slightly dodgy looking doctors and I went in to fill in my forms. The Dr came in, a nice but short and rather moley Egyptian man, and we chatted a bit. Went through my medical.vaccine history.

Ended up with a tetnus booster that I was a billion years overdue for. Did the skin test for TB on my left fore arm, and then he tried both elbow creases for taking blood. Failed and then went for my left hand. managed to get nearly a full vial from that, before it dried up. Much wiggling and poking ensued and then finally we got the other two.

I don't think it'll cost us any more unless I have to have an xray for TB if my skin test results come back funny. I said to the Dr about having mumps and chicken pox. I have to get a fax from sawston medical centre to say I had mumps. When I got home, I phoned them but they said it wasn't on their records and they'd have to check the paper records which were upstairs somewhere and they were short staffed etc, and that they didn't know when they could get to it. I said I needed it for Wed an I would call again tomorrow as it was urgent. I am guessing if I can't get hold of this, they'll give me an MMR jab for good measure...

The paperwork was initially very confusing. It said $340 was the global fee (cash or money order) but i think they say that for the worst case scenario, cos the girl going in after me (I am guessing she was African) was asked about her vaccine records and she just went "I've had them" and the receptionist said well, without proof you're getting them again" so that would probably cost her a lot of money. Although they also said the xray wasn't included, but the Dr said to me that he would charge us $290 for everything. What a racket... and its so confusing!

His attitude to the rest of the questions was pretty funny. Asked if I was on any medication, etc and then just said that I must be healthy because to have a baby you have to be in good health! Hah! He then asked if I was working at the moment which I think was a blatent trick question because I CAN'T work at the moment! I said no not at present because I a looking after Adelaide. Duh!

The frustrating thing is that I have no doubts about my actual health, or my medical history... I would just like this to be straight forward and to not cost anymore money, however I have a funny feeling that will not be the case... watch this space.

No comments: