Monday, 16 November 2009

To Albany and back


So we jusssssssst got in from our night away in Troy NY visitng these lovely people:

This is our lovely friends Danielle, Jon and lovely miss Willa. Patrick went to college with Jon and has known hi and Danielle for ages. Willa is 2 weeks younger than Addie and I may be correct in thinking that her 'coming about' was much similar to Adelaide... oops! Anywhoo we got there late because 1. Addie threw us a curve ball and slept in until 10am (after a 7am bottle) and then 2. there was some kind of monsoon rain going on outside for the majority of the drive threw NH and MA. We missed a lot of the party but managed to make Addie's day as there were a ton of kids there, cake and some pizza and soda for us. We said hi to Jon's family and then went back to the house after/during the clear up. Addie didn't sleep the car journey (on average 3 1/2 hours) so was a little crabby, plus constipated babyp, plus party and a strange house equals mega crabby. She didn't want to go down for a nap and her and Willa were a little strange around each other as I think Willa was also on sensory overload. Poor old Willa got ploughed through by Addie a few times, because of a toy or a balloon or something like that. Both girls have known each other (as well as newborns can do) since maybe 8/6 weeks old yet every time they seem to dance around each other a bit. Addie went down okay finally and we relaxed and chatted and got a bit silly and started talking in rhyme and ate some of Danielle's chicken pot pie... which I liked greatly.

We were on the pull out in the couch and didn't sleep so well as Addie and Willa took it in turns to mew and cry. Willa was up the most, about 6 or so times. But we all know when Addie wakes up, she is UP. Patrick first tried to settle her the one time she did wake up at 4am, gave her a bottle but to no avail. She knew she wasn't at home, in a strange pack and play (travel crib to you Brits) and just not happy. In the end I got up to help and provide another dummy as the one she had disappeared into void somewhere. She is so cute when she is tired... she curls upto a little ball in your chest, desperately trying to burrow like a newborn would, but doesn't quite get the darkness and the snugness she might used to have, now she is a bigger tot. In the end I wrapped her up in her pink blanket (which has become a stable comforter now) and waited for the music mobile to finish, enjoying the snuggle time. Then clambered into bed, only to be woken up by another baby sometime later hahah. Jon and Danielle have a great great house and Danielle has a fab eye for bits and bobs in auctions and antique fairs and yard sales. When we finally get our own house we are going to have to borrow her bargain eye, because I love everything in their house. Seriously, everything.

Sunday we got up went for breakfast after the girls napped (well Addie didn't she howled at the opportunity so we cut it short) at some diner in Albany, and then hit the road. Addie fell asleep in the car just as we were getting there which made Patrick and I nervous, but she was so spaced out from being tired, she was happy to sit in the high chair and gawk at other diners and eat the food we plied her with. We then wandered around the mall looking for coats. I am extremely gutted as I saw a ton of coats that I liked, and endured the mall to look at, yet none of them were long enough in the arms or did up because of my massive boobs and/or wide back. Darn it. Oh well. The search continues.... Danielle found a lovely coat, damn her!!! Addie finally fell asleep in the stroller and then didn't bat an eyelid as we transferred her to the car and started the long trek home.

The nights are drawing in now, I think the sun set at 4pm so a lot of the drive was in twilight. Addie slept most of the way, but we stopped for a toilet break/nappy change/bite to eat so she was awake from that point. I tried to entertain her and give her more food but I think she needs a little more to do on a longer car journey in future. We got home and Patrick's mum put Addie to bed for us. I think her and Pat's dad Sam missed her hehe. We are now sitting in the new and improved *nearly* finished basement watching the Patriots play the Colts. I am a new follower (this happened by accident as Patrick and his Dad love it and I have just been sitting in on games) of American Football so don't really understand too much, and apparently ask so many questions about why/who/what of the technical rule stuff that I have actually had Sam and Patrick not know the answer, but it seems so tactical and much more technical than football/soccer at home. Maybe it is because you sort of absorb that kind of knowledge and how-to growing up as it is all around I am finding learning something new like this a bit different as there seems to be more to think about. So far it is a close game 10-7 to "us". My good friend Karen is a DIE HARD Colts fan. She actually even sent Addie a Colt's baby cheerleader outfit, which is pretty funny. I daren't put it on Addie around Sam or Patrick! Haha! So if the Pats lose, I'll never hear the end of it...

Anyway this is probably a rather dull entry so I'll try harder tomorrow. Patrick is off tomorrow... 4 day weekend with the hubby! Woo hoo!

No comments: