Nick Jr is on the tv most of the day here. Not that I just plonk Addie in front of it, it is just on all the time. I like the noise from the TV because the radio stations here are terrible. The one worth listening to has a play list of I think 8 songs in total, which aren't bad songs themselves, just well, it gets very boring pretty quickly.
Addie sometimes sits down and watches certain shows, namely Yo Gabba Gabba, which is her favourite. And I say sit down, but I actually mean standing up really close to the TV, shouting and dancing like babies do. sometimes we catch Jack's Big Music show, but there must be about 6 episodes in total and we've seen them all, so sometimes I just drag breakfast out so she misses it.
So that we can get her PJS on easier at bedtime we put it on again, and it is usually Backyardigans or Wonderpets. Both reasonably cute shows, if not annoyingly catchy. I cannot count the times that someone in this house, including my father in law has gone "THIS IS SER-WEEEE-OUS!" like that weird duck with a lisp does.
I have seen a lot of shows that I hate. Adelaide hates them too thankfully. Well, not hates, but isn't interested enough or bored to the point of her turning off the Comcast box! Some of them are:
Max and Ruby
"... Ruby and her little brother Max", as the title theme goes. Yes I know it is Max and Ruby, I heard you the first time, you don't need to tell me again and clarify which one is which. I think that is obvious. The voice of the older sister rabbit is actually voiced by Samantha Morton, who I hope is feeling very embarrassed. It actually sounds more like a slightly drunk Maggie Gyllenhaal. Either way it goes straight through me. The format of the show is pretty much the same... the sister is trying to do something precocious and her brother 'ruins it' in the way that little brothers usually do, but it turns out, in the end that he didn't ruin it! Oh the surprise! I think deep down this kind of storyline is bringing up some deep-seated memories of me and my own brother growing up and he irritated the fuck out of me then. So yeah this cartoon is annoying. How that little Max rabbit isn't disciplined for his actions I don't know... one episode he made a huge mess and just kept doing it. What kind of message is that to kids? Speaking of which Ruby seems to be the primary care giver for Max. Ruby given her enjoyments, has to be no older than 7 years old. I am yet to see an episode with their parents (only a brief appearance of Grandma). I have given this all too much thought I know.
Wow! Wow! Wubzy
This show is animated lazily in Adobe Flash. Watching this I feel like I am on drugs, or have ADD. Or both. The music is like a night out in some Eurobeat club in Amsterdam. I find myself singing the theme tune far too much as that is when I tune in and go "shit! where is the remote!" The segments on it are totally random. "Walden's Minute of Knowledge" shares information that is completely false and totally impossible. Not sure how that is a good message for kids. Lots of toys and merchandise available. I have given this all too much thought I know.
Franklin
Some crap boring show about a do-gooding turle, that hangs about with some other animals, like a cat and a bear. Boring and one day I hope that either the cat and or the bear maul and eat the turtle, who moans about this and that, and then has a change of heart once he learns his moral lesson. Boringggggg. Theme tune is crap also. Probably some do-gooding Canadian show.
I am sure there are more cartoons and programs I hate (I mean you Fresh Beat Band, Dora, Diego, Olivia, Pinky Dinky Doo, Little Bear, LAZY FUCKING TOWN.... Damn you Iceland!) I would go into them now but it would make me look like a bit of a spazz. I know these aren't AIMED at me... but how the fuck do most parents stand it? I don't like to leave Addie to watch TV on her own, as I don't agree with that, and there is no harm in TV and kids really in small doses, I don't have some kind of moral high ground regarding TV and kids. Heck, I was a single parent for 9 months of Adelaide's life when I lived in Jersey, there were times where it was a welcomed distraction! I just don't think the TV should be used as a babysitter. Addie is a smart girl and I don't want to hinder that development. But yes, anyway, we watch TV together and most of the time she plays during that and only half glances on the screen.
Thank fuck for Play with Me Sesame on PBS Kids/Sprout.
Addie sometimes sits down and watches certain shows, namely Yo Gabba Gabba, which is her favourite. And I say sit down, but I actually mean standing up really close to the TV, shouting and dancing like babies do. sometimes we catch Jack's Big Music show, but there must be about 6 episodes in total and we've seen them all, so sometimes I just drag breakfast out so she misses it.
So that we can get her PJS on easier at bedtime we put it on again, and it is usually Backyardigans or Wonderpets. Both reasonably cute shows, if not annoyingly catchy. I cannot count the times that someone in this house, including my father in law has gone "THIS IS SER-WEEEE-OUS!" like that weird duck with a lisp does.
I have seen a lot of shows that I hate. Adelaide hates them too thankfully. Well, not hates, but isn't interested enough or bored to the point of her turning off the Comcast box! Some of them are:
Max and Ruby
"... Ruby and her little brother Max", as the title theme goes. Yes I know it is Max and Ruby, I heard you the first time, you don't need to tell me again and clarify which one is which. I think that is obvious. The voice of the older sister rabbit is actually voiced by Samantha Morton, who I hope is feeling very embarrassed. It actually sounds more like a slightly drunk Maggie Gyllenhaal. Either way it goes straight through me. The format of the show is pretty much the same... the sister is trying to do something precocious and her brother 'ruins it' in the way that little brothers usually do, but it turns out, in the end that he didn't ruin it! Oh the surprise! I think deep down this kind of storyline is bringing up some deep-seated memories of me and my own brother growing up and he irritated the fuck out of me then. So yeah this cartoon is annoying. How that little Max rabbit isn't disciplined for his actions I don't know... one episode he made a huge mess and just kept doing it. What kind of message is that to kids? Speaking of which Ruby seems to be the primary care giver for Max. Ruby given her enjoyments, has to be no older than 7 years old. I am yet to see an episode with their parents (only a brief appearance of Grandma). I have given this all too much thought I know.
Wow! Wow! Wubzy
This show is animated lazily in Adobe Flash. Watching this I feel like I am on drugs, or have ADD. Or both. The music is like a night out in some Eurobeat club in Amsterdam. I find myself singing the theme tune far too much as that is when I tune in and go "shit! where is the remote!" The segments on it are totally random. "Walden's Minute of Knowledge" shares information that is completely false and totally impossible. Not sure how that is a good message for kids. Lots of toys and merchandise available. I have given this all too much thought I know.
Little Bill
I'm not racist. I just had the slow pace of the show and the fucking jazz music that goes along with it. The kids in this animated shows have scarily huge giant heads. Scary!Franklin
Some crap boring show about a do-gooding turle, that hangs about with some other animals, like a cat and a bear. Boring and one day I hope that either the cat and or the bear maul and eat the turtle, who moans about this and that, and then has a change of heart once he learns his moral lesson. Boringggggg. Theme tune is crap also. Probably some do-gooding Canadian show.
I am sure there are more cartoons and programs I hate (I mean you Fresh Beat Band, Dora, Diego, Olivia, Pinky Dinky Doo, Little Bear, LAZY FUCKING TOWN.... Damn you Iceland!) I would go into them now but it would make me look like a bit of a spazz. I know these aren't AIMED at me... but how the fuck do most parents stand it? I don't like to leave Addie to watch TV on her own, as I don't agree with that, and there is no harm in TV and kids really in small doses, I don't have some kind of moral high ground regarding TV and kids. Heck, I was a single parent for 9 months of Adelaide's life when I lived in Jersey, there were times where it was a welcomed distraction! I just don't think the TV should be used as a babysitter. Addie is a smart girl and I don't want to hinder that development. But yes, anyway, we watch TV together and most of the time she plays during that and only half glances on the screen.
Thank fuck for Play with Me Sesame on PBS Kids/Sprout.








No comments:
Post a Comment