Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Shovel shovel shovel

Today I did a lot of shovelling of ICE. A couple of inches thick. This is what you have to shovel if you don't shovel the snow when you should. The window of good snow to crappy ice is a small one, but one I will not miss again!

Hopefully we are all less likely to break our backs going out there.

I made a delicious meal for my husband and family yesterday, based on a Nigella recipe, but one I doctored somewhat. It was so well received that it carried over for leftovers today. Just as well we cooked 2 chickens!

If you would like the recipe, here it is. The changes I made were:
  • Instead of the 150ml white wine, do half and half white wine and sherry. This takes away any bitterness
  • Throw in a small sweet onion, cut into quarters (whole, try not to let it fall apart as you do it) which also helps with the juices going a bit off cos of all the lemon.
  • Throw in a load of new potatoes and sweet potato hunks, which roast up lovely. Om nom nom. I took them out after the 2 hours slow cook, and then roasted them with some of the juice. Don't put the sweet potato in at the start because you'll get a big pile of mess!
  • Also, make sure you take the seeds out of the lemon wedges where possible, as they affect the flavour of the lemony sauce.
  • If you don't have fresh thyme, you can substitute for powder etc, just mix it in with the oil.
If you don't want potatoes, it goes very nicely with couscous or a salad.

Delicious by all accounts! Patrick loved it and it made him so happy. Today however is another story, I feel so bad for him, he is so stressed with money and work and stuff. We can't afford to get presents for anyone, and I think he feels bad for that. I hate to see him so worked up.

Tomorrow I am going to the gym to a spinning class with Kristina. I am a little nervous, because Addie is going into the gym daycare, and I don't know if she will have a melt down as it is between her breakfast and nap... We will have to see. I am really excited. Worst come to the worst I'll have to hang out with her whilst Kristina finishes her workout!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the same thing happened to my Mum when she moved to Leeds, they had a large batch of snow which turned to ice the day I visited. I always remember taking her dog out for a walk & when he bolted I slid three metres before I let go of the lead. I've never been able to walk on an icey driveway since! brrr.

my friend from work said spinning was so fun, she invited me along but at the time I thought she meant Sufi spinning so I said I didn't think I'd like it.