Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Joy of Joys!

So. Patrick had today booked off and I wrote a list of everything we needed to do. It was a mostly boring list, to do with visa stuff, but it is difficult to get time with Patrick to do these things, because by the time he gets home, most of the clerical offices here are closed and as the non US citizen parent I can't really do jack shit without him about as no one will speak to me.

Anyway, mission one was to go down and get a social security number for Adelaide. The women behind the glass windowed counter looked a bit clueless and just drew a blank once I had explained ourselves, which was annoying as we had waited our turn and took our ticket number etc. We decided to try plan B, and go apply for a passport first. You may recall my dilemma from a few months back how it seemed that one thing required another, and this basically kept putting us into a catch 22 situation. I was a little upset because I was worried that we'd get someone equally as clueless at the post office. On the way we stopped to get Addie's passport pictures. She did great, afterall she is a professional and this is technically her second set of passport photos, already having a UK passport. So we went from Nashua SS office over to the Merrimack post office. They didn't do it there and we had to go back over to the post office in Nashua! Boo. We first lined up to ask the lady some questions about Adelaide's situation. She at first got the wrong end of the stick and thought Patrick was a foreigner like me and had his citizenship papers and wanted to see them. I almost died right there, but luckily Patrick explained that he was home grown and born and bred and she liked that much better! After running out to photocopy everything we brought with us, we filled out the form and went back in. She asked about the SSN for Addie, and again I nearly died, but she just went "Oh you not got it yet? That is fine" and scribbled in a bunch of zeros! HOORAH! We paid the various fees, roughly totalling $90 and got a receipt and that was it!

The only hassle now is that we have to wait upto 6 weeks for it, and won't get the original copies of her birth certificate etc back until then. She said they will write to us if there is any problems. I am expecting problems but Patrick says I am being silly and that if the women said it was fine, it'll be fine. We have to get another copy of our marriage certificate now from the town office though for our visa interview on the 1st. Honestly. It's like a whirlwind of paper at our house at the moment.

When we got home, we dd some internetty budgeting stuff, which was another weight off my mind. I keep on having to nag Patrick to add me to some of his credit cards. Again, its not because Patrick is reluctant, it is simply because for my husband there are simply not enough hours in the day. I have no intention of using the credit cards. I think they are scary and evil and I don't like to spend money that isn't real/my own, but I think it is good to tick the boxes for the sake of our co-mingling married life financial stuff, and just in case of an emergency.

In other news, someone is supposed to be coming to look at Patrick's old truck today, for scrap/cash/whatever but they aren't here yet, but in their defence, there is some kind of blizzard going on outside, which I am doing best to not be excited about. What a n00b I am.

Gotta go nag my husband a bit more. Hope you are all enjoying Pancake Day. What do you mean you don't know what Pancake day is? Are you giving anything up for Lent? I'm not religious but I think I might try and give something up. Again, if you don't know about Lent, then basically Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday and you traditionally use up all your fats, in preparation for 'fasting' until Easter and the bevvy of Easter eggs most people scoff! I can't think of stuff to give up right this second, because most of my vices are now limited as my sources are across the Atlantic. I am of course referring to sweets, biscuits and that kinda thing. Not smoking or boozing, neither of which I do.


5 comments:

Sally said...

OH NO!
Easter Eggs!
Please tell me you have a dealer in the UK supplying you and Addie with sufficient Easter Eggs this year.
Otherwise I fear the horror you will experience with a US Easter. :(

Alex said...

I hope I don't get any bloody Peeps. I know you love them Sally but really, they are gross! There are a few British places here I think I can get some UK eggs from. And the US made Cadbury's cream eggs aren't THAT different really in the grand scheme of things...

Sally said...

True, they're not that different, just smaller.
Was looking at pics of the Easter Aisles at Tesco etc, made me drool.
Hope my family get me some easter eggs and save them for my return :)

Amy Georgina said...

Hahaha, I will be your Easter Egg dealer!

And I bloody love Maid Marion, I really want the DVD boxset!

And hope you get all your paperwork sorted soon, don't worry about Addie's paperwork, she doesn't look like a terrorist...!

Charley said...

OMG now I really want to watch Maid Marion, argh I love it.