Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Back to earth with a bump

So today we came home from house-sitting and I am sad. It isn't nice here. Not compared to being somewhere where Patrick and Addie and I can be a family haha. Rusty had taken the house apart and started decorating the front room and Addie was freaked out by it. The mood in the house was the same as when we left. Patrick and I were both hoping that things had improved but alas no. Well we came home to a stack of post and in it was.... my green card! It is very fancy and I will take a picture of it, and show you fancy pants holographic background and stuff. Its so fancy, the DHS gave me a little sleeve to put it in.

Addie is FULL to the brim with snot and a cold. She is all groggy and off her food and the only thing that has helped her is a bit of kids Tylenol (the cold and flu variety specifically). AND I KNOW YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO GIVE 'BABIES' THAT STUFF ANYMORE but in my defence, I think the guidelines are retarded and it is all based on weight and Adelaide is a giant baby. And Patrick and I both had that stuff and we were and still are fine. We aren't idiots and we aren't going to give her an overdose. Heck, we aren't even giving her a full dose as it is and only before nap/bedtime and when she wakes up. So that is basically 3 times a day. And we are doing it to make her feel better and breath a little easier. We aren't trying to drug her or make her nap. I honestly believe that common sense is the issue here. You can all call me a bad parent but my Dad has worked in the medical professional for about 50 years and I wouldn't do anything that he disagreed with and I don't think he would argue with me here.

Anyway.... So we got my green card in the post, and this was great for me, because it meant that I could also get my social security card changed today. We were going in anyway to sign Addie up for one, so we can get her on Patrick's tax return. The deal with my social security card was that because I used my EAD, it was saying that it was authorised for work, but only with DHS authorisation. So I took that in with my green card and my passport and got them to send in another. ou don't have to get the restriction removed but it's definitely recommended once you have your green card. I think you have to show your employer(s) your social security card and if they have to contact DHS that is a bit annoying for them and just more hassle. Also, for a number of things, like student financial aid etc, Apparently they verify your status/details with social security to check you are a citizen/perm resident. It said if you recently became a permanent resident, to make sure you've removed the restrictions on your social security card as otherwise you'll verify on the SS check as ineligible and although stuff like this could be appealed, you'd be getting into more hassle. I have to carry around my GC with me forever now. It is the law! It also isn't green.

After Addie went for her nap this afternoon Patrick and I helped Sam finalise the office move. His business is going through a number of changes and stresses (adding to the stress in the house) which I think is normal in this current economy... We did a lot of lugging and moving. When we finally came home Addie was up and giving a tired Nana the run around. Wouldn't eat her dinner or anything like that, but funnily enough had an appetite for Cadbury's mini eggs. Which I think are gross.

So my visa journey is done for a little while. I only need to now go to the DMV in town and get booked in for my drivers test to get my license. In NH you don't have to go get a permit apparently. So I should be boning up and heading down there soon to go take the test and get it out of the way. I am not nervous, but I do definitely need some more time behind the road here to learn the different ways. I had no problems driving in the UK, so I should just get practising and read through my highway code/drivers ed manual (its different from the one at home) and take the test. I think I'll get a date to do it, and not tell Patrick when it is. That way, I won't feel pressured (not that he is the overbearing pressuring type I just feel feel it cos I am hard on myself) and it'll be a nice surprise for him. Once I have my drivers license and a job, I am all set. Then we can finally get a house of our own.

Nate and Kim's house is a really cute house in Haverhill, Massachusetts. It is all wood flooring and the first floor has an open landing and bedroom, and then the groundfloor has 2 bedrooms/office, bathroom, large front room, kitchen and then access to the giant basement which has another sitting room (which is super retro) and a bar (!) and the laundry room and some studio/workshop space for Nate. There is a garage too, which is attached to the house via a breezeway/conservatory bit. I loved it. Staying there for a week made me and Patrick realise moreso what we'd want and do with our own house. And things we do differently. Like for instance, wood floors are awesome, but seriously, with a baby, you need some rugs in the common areas like in front of the TV and the stairs need some carpeting because everything creeks like a mother fucker.

After all this excitement I realised that my birthday is coming up soon! 25th March I'll be 30. The big 30. I am really not expecting anything fancy because Patrick and I are broke and I am thousands of miles from my family and friends. I'm not bothered about turning 30 as such. I've never been one to worry about getting older and the stigma attached to numbers etc. Although Patrick is 30 on the 31st for those 6 days that he is still technically a year younger than me, he doesn't let it drop. It is pretty unbearable haha! I might feel old for those 6 days.

In an ideal world, I would like to be able to get myself a tattoo or something like that and go out for a nice meal with Patrick. But we won't do that, but that is okay. Since having a baby I have become very financially humbled. I look back and see how I spent money on crap I didn't need and it frightens me. I could be quite well off now if I knew then what I knew now! Honestly, right now for my birthday I'd just like some home comfort* and my Dad (who I won't see till May but that is better than nothing).

Home comfort: pear drops, wispas, wispa golds, crunchie, kinder milk bars (Addie loves these and they are practically the same as a Kinder Egg but without the toy or being egg shaped), rich tea biscuits, proper jaffa cakes, some Robinsons squash, penguins, after eights, Farleys rusks (for Addie!) and some of the greatest biscuits known to man:

marks and spencer dutch shortcake



I could be here all day listing stuff that would put a smile on my face and belly!


Picture post tomorrow. You have been warned!

1 comment:

Amy Georgina said...

So how does Customs handle all that kinda thing?! (Still need your address, I'm going to send you a huge card with 30 on it and a Wispa!)

Sorry you're back in crappy atmosphere, but on the plus side, it really won't be long before you guys can start living The Dream.