Wednesday, 23 June 2010

Coralene MADE me do it!

1. Of all the things you've ever made (clothing, quilts, mix tapes, scrapbooking, whatever), which is your favorite, and why?

Adelaide is the most favourite thing I made. I only say her because everything I ever made I never finished. Unless its edible, then oh my goodness it is definitely finished. Does Adelaide count? I think so. I did make and bake her. I will try and finish something soon I promise but I'm like a magpie or something. A little shiny distraction and I am done. A lazy Aries magpie. Who gets bored really easy.

2. If you could put one celebrity on a space ship riddled with electrical malfunctions, most likely to explode in space and never return, who would it be?

Just one? Jeeez what a toughie. Maybe I'll just randomly pick a cover of People magazine and see who comes up. I don't like a lot of celebrity types, but of late I've had too much on my plate to really care about it. Although I think I'll probably get flamed for this, but I would like to put those two actors in the Twilight films in a rocket and send them in opposite directions hahaha! That Robert Pattison fellow and his miserable looking girlfriend Kristen Stewart? Whatever their names are. They are far too pouty for my liking and you know what die hard über fans, its just a book/movie. Get over it.............!

3. What was the best 90's trend you can think of?


TWO WORDS: SHELL. SUIT. OKay maybe technically it was an 80s thing, but look, we were reasonably poor and I didn't get one until I was like 11, which would have been 1991. If I have to chose something else, I might need more time to think, but Patrick said in a flash and not even thinking about it, HYPERCOLOUR T SHIRTS, which again, I didn't get until they were totally out of fashion, or something. An Australian family friend got me somehypercolour cotton DUNGAREES! They were at the time EPIC and went from pink to purple. In hindsight this was probably a terrible idea and I most likely walked around looking like I peed my pants.

My shell suit was bright shocking pink and green. My mum had one that was slightly lighter than sky blue/teal and BROWN. BROWN. And being shell suits, they were SHINEY! Who matches light teal and brown? I know some of you are thinking well in some situations that might be okay, and yadda yadda blah blah your front room has this and that match up... but NO. TRUST ME. This was the 90s and the 1990s didn't do subtleties very well. Atleast the 80s is trying to make a fashion come back, well it has I mean. I can't ever imagine the 90s being in fashion again. I'm not ready for that. Saying that, most of my outfits were pretty bad then. C&A were still around people and I bought a lot of clothes from their young person department. Although I lived in jeans. Namely my Dad's old jeans and I thought I was was the dogs bollocks in oversized bleached jeans. This has become a bit of a rant about the 90s. To be honest, I don't think much about the 90s. It was a strange time for me that had no real redeeming factors because the 80s was so well, brash and unforgettable, but to me the 90s were the younger sibling that just can't quite get out of their shadow. The next decade I remember better but I think it was most likely because I was older and didn't spend most of it in a long brown kilt and blazer (thanks school uniform!)

4. What is your middle name? Where did it come from?

PAULA KATHLEEN
Not sure the actual reasoning behind this, but my Dad's name is Paula, so maybe that is partly connected. We don't know anyone called Paula that might have had an influence. Kathleen is my Mum's mum's name. Adelaide has my mum's name as one of her middle names too, carrying on the "my mum is dead so I am naming my kid after them" tradition. HATE Paula, no offence Paulas out there. And Kathleen is one of those names where you have to say it in a way that exaggerates the double E part. Kath-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAN. Just like that.

EDITED TO ADD (THANKS CORALENE!) That my Dad's name is Paul

5. What is the best advice you were ever given?

Shut up. At the time, it worked.

6. Where do you work? How long have you been there? And if you're unemployed, what is your dream job?

I am unemployed at the moment, looking for work. I am not one of those stay at home types that believes its a job of its own. Maybe it is, but I friggin' hate it and about to go insane unless I don't get something soon. Maybe it would be different if I was out of MY INLAWS house. I'd like to think I would. And we had more money so that I could do stuff. My ideal job would be my old job that I left, to move here and be with Patrick. As much as I love Patrick to death and love having the 3 of us as a family, this suffering I am experiencing is making the thought that I left my dream job unbearable. Why did I leave? Why? What was I thinking? Especially seeing as I don't see Patrick all day because he is at work. I was better off in Jersey because I didn't see him all day then either, and we Skyped when we both got home and emailed all day. PS my old job was amazing and I loved it and was tied to a confidentially agreement so can't say what I did, but it was at Vistra in Jersey and I loved it. I'm a natural in an office.

7. Please describe your worst kitchen disaster. Baking explosion? Forgot to put the lid on the blender? Tell me.

It wasn't mine per say, but I was making a cake, and had the oven on to heat up. Didn't look in it and back then I lived with my Dad who was a sloppy cleaner to say the least. I opened the oven to put the cake in (who had been away for a few days and I'd been at my then boyfriends the duration) and a swarm of flies flew out. My Dad had left a chicken carcus in the oven after eating, then forgot about it. I turned on the oven to heat it all up and god knows how long it had been there because the thing was covered in maggots and the kitchen was full of flies. I freaked the fuck out and needless to say didn't finish my cake and spent the entire night cleaning and freaking out.

8. Who was your first kiss?

Oh god. I think it was this guy called David when I was like 17 or nearly 18. I know, that makes me like retarded or something but I was a late starter. Well I dunno if I was a late starter, I was willing but boys never really liked me. I was always the tall awkward one that clowned about and had a really strict Dad who never let me go out. The kiss in question was when I had spent a summer in Jersey staying with my aunt. He was the son of her friend, and I think they and my entire family friend network were gunning for it hahaha. We spent weeks tiptoeing around each other, although I think it was more me being a goof and not understanding boys at all and him trying to figure out if I was really that retarded or was ignoring any of his signs (if there were any) or just ignoring the pressure from his mum and my aunt to kiss me. Incidentally that is where that best piece of advice came from... that fateful night. My aunties friend Gloria was giving me drunken advice about what I should do. I kept saying I couldn't stop talking because I was so nervous and at every slightly 'lean in and kiss' or 'are they gonna?' moment yours truly would open their mouth and waffle. We'd gone to the cinema, and then he had walked me back to mine, via the coast road which is twice as long, at teenager walking in the moonlight pace, and my auntie and her friends were drunk and were trying to signal to me if we had kissed, mortified, I said no and musta gone beetroot colour, so they sent me out again to walk him back half the way. Jesus. Pressure much. Eventually we got to the road/half waypoint and I musta been waffling on a storm, and remembered Gloria's wise words and shut up. Eventually he had a chance to get a word in edgeways etc and made his move. I was like a rabbit in the headlights. I don't know why I am so useless with guys, I am still just as bad. I had to give Patrick a disclaimer when we first met and told him that I would nervous talk and he had to make ALL the moves and when I started punching him jokingly that would be the best indicator that I liked him and definitely kiss him back if he kissed me and that I was just really bad at these things. Bless him. Anywhoo, David and I stayed friends a while, we wrote to each other a little bit, but my friend Lara got jealous and made me stop writing to him. I saw him the year later, or maybe 2 years later, but in that time he had really become very aware of how friggin' cute he was and the confidence that comes with that and I had no chance whatsoever... Jersey girls are hella slutty. So really, I missed my window, but I was happy with what I got when I got it. The summers later I saw him I was still retarded because I still liked him. Once his sister told me that I broke his heart because I didn't write him back or phone him any more. Darn it. Bros before hoes never again! I could me married to a Swedish speaking English language speaking thai-boxer now. Who'da thunk it.



I am supposed to pass this one, but I don't have enough people I 'blog' with to do so. Isn't that bad of me. Nevermind, sorry Coralene!

2 comments:

Fawn and Flower said...

Somehow, some way, you have got to find a picture of you in that shell suit. I didn't know they were called that (I call them wind suits) until Sam mentioned them recently, actually! I had one too, and I loved it so much... but I ironed it with the setting too high and I melted it :( :( :(

Your dad's name is Paula? Ok where did your DAD'S name come from? Now I'm even more intrigued!

And hell yes send Kristin Stewart. Ungrateful pouty bitch.

LHA said...

Shell suits were amazing! Ha!