Thursday, 8 July 2010

Okay no more heat!

It is too warm! I can't think! We went in the pool again today, and by the time I did, I thought I was going to melt. Patrick was home today and whilst he and Adelaide were having some lunch I decided to go out and put her paddling pool up (by hand because the pump thing didn't work thanks Rusty haha) and then assemble this big sun canopy thing. Seriously, it musta been about 4x7ft. Thankfully Patrick came out and helped at the critical point, but I was melting at that point. MELTING and woozy. So sweaty. Urgh.

Oh! So I called this job call back place back and have a chat with the lady, who was very nice. She asked me a bit about me and told me about the company and lo and behold yours truly has an interview! Hoorah! In Havard Square no less! So Friday I am off to Cambridge outside of Boston and had better get my smart on.

Also Addie has to have some jabs tomorrow. To catch up, she has to have 3 this week and another 3 next month and then I think some more at her 2 year appointment. They are doing if I remember some boosters and the varicella one, which is for chicken pox, tomorrow and then another bunch of stuff which I forget. The schedule of immunizations is a little different in the US to the UK so there was some dilemma as to what to give Addie because in some cases she'd get more than she should have. But I think they have figured it out. But I am not happy about the chicken pox one. The week I got chicken pox was easily one of the greatest weeks off school being ill ever. My brother had it too at the same time. Basically we lived in a little village and went to a small school. When there was an outbreak we were herded up like cattle and forced to mingle to catch it. Being a small school, a bunch of us did and by the end of a month we'd all had it. Turns out our friends had it at the same time, and their mum worked as a teacher and couldn't get time off to look after them, so my mum looked after 4 of us. Once you get past the day of feeling poorly and the spots come out, you feel fine with some itching. We basically spent the entire week playing and being awesome. I don't want to deprive Adelaide of that. Can I change my mind? Hahah.

Okay. Thinking about it, I think I might decline that one. On a serious note, my spidey sense is tingling and I read that actually it isn't a daycare requirement or school requirement and the jab doesn't even cover 100% that they'll not get chicken pox or shingles and the jab in the majority of cases wears off 5-8 years later. And in some cases it can actually cause it. And if she gets chicken pox, I'll nurse her and make her feel better. After all, she wouldn't have had the jab back home.
The chickenpox vaccine is not part of the routine childhood vaccination schedule. The vaccine is currently only offered to people who are particularly vulnerable to chickenpox.
I'll see what the nurse says tomorrow, but I want to say no to this one for now. You must all think I am selfish (because there are people that chicken pox is dangerous to, like pregnant women and newborn babies and those with weaken immune systems... but that goes for most viral infections and you can't catch them all! Addie already HAD German measles don't forget and this was long before she is even due an injection for it) but I must exercise my right as a mother to dig my heels in. I know you will all say "ah well Alex you are in America now, you must do as the American peoples must!" but you know what? She wouldn't have it at home (sorry but England will always be HOME even though I live here with my husband and Adelaide) and this is the land of the free. I don't want to be dictated to by governments of healthcare professionals. I'll never give her the swine flu shot or the annual flu shot and I don't know how I feel about that HPV shot right now. Maybe when she is older and she is due it, it'll be safer, but right now, I don't like the look of it and I think it was rushed. The end.


OH! I just found out Sharon had her baby boy! 9lb 2oz. 20" long at 10.10pm. Which basically was just over a 12 hour delivery for an induction of her second baby. Yikes. She shoulda listened to me and drank that raspberry leaf tea! Worked wonders for me and my uniformed contractions! Yay! Babies and job interviews!

2 comments:

Sam said...

Ooh good luck! I have my fingers crossed for you!

Just thinking too, did I ever send you a letter?x

LHA said...

Nice! Good luck with the interview! You'll be just round the corner from my office. Fingers crossed!