Wednesday, 7 July 2010

One long weekend later...

And here I am for another update!

Well. I can't even remember the last thing I wrote, but I've had a cracking weekend with Patrick, Adelaide and our close friends (The Coleman family) and its been 104ºF ... which is 40ºC. Needless to say I couldn't believe it. I don't think I've ever seen these kinda temperatures. Even when I've been abroad to say, Australia it hasn't been THAT hot.

Anyway, basically our wonderful close friends Jon and Danielle Coleman (and Willa who is 2 weeks younger than Addie because Addie was a week late and Willa 2 weeks early) live out near Albany, which is a few hours away. Patrick got out of work early on Friday and we jumped into the car and headed out. We got there in time for fireworks in Schenectady along the river. Poor Patrick had driven a lot of miles by the time we got there... two and from work (which is a commute and a half) and then back down to work in Massachusetts , past work and then into NY. Phew. The fireworks were fun and the girls loved it. We all sat together with Danielle's family and then headed back to Jon's folks place, where we were staying. Jon and Danielle are in the process of moving into a house and there is a lot of unpacking to do, and this was the best option as Jon's parents have a finished basement, so we had a room for us and Addie and our own bathroom. They also have an above ground pool which was awesome for the crazy heat. We had planned this trip a while back, initially as a surprise for Jon's birthday, which was on Monday, but the house thing was taking some time but thankfully Jon's parents were kind enough to have us invade. And invade we did! We were there for 4th July, and some of Jon's family came around, and Danielle's too, and we did some grilling and the girls played in a paddling pool and went in the big pool. Jon's folks have an awesome house with a great sunroom addition which I LOVED.

When it got too hot on Saturday we went to the mall for a brief jaunt and let the girls play in the kids' section.

Monday night I cooked a toad in the hole for us all and Jon's mum Ann made a lovely birthday cake. In hindsight cooking a toad in the hole on a day where its 100º outside was probably not the greatest thing I could have done, but thankfully it was awesome and everyone loved it. The kitchen was about 120º though by the time it was ready. Phew. After dinner we went out for a drink and had some fun and chatted, which we didn't get to do very often because of Addie and Willa. They stayed home with Jon's parents fast asleep. We talked about when we'd all have more babies and I am excited because we have tentative plans to "get rid of the IUDS see what happens" this time next year. Funnily enough, I think we'll see if we can time them around each other again, which will be fun for us all. Exciting. It is something to look forward too in the long term, because I was very conscious about when we'd have our next one because I am already 30 now and, well, you know... All that jazz. And it gives us yet MORE incentive to sort out shit out.

We came back today, leaving in prime time to hit the commuting rush... but we didn't! how lucky! We hit one slow point on the Lowell Connector but otherwise, we made good time. I was very thankful for the AC because outside at certain points it was as hot as balls outside. When we got home there was a cheque from Chase for $2.07 and a callback about a job I applied for, and a pack of three home made snoods came in the mail. I tell you, I should go away more often.

We hopped in the pool as soon as we unpacked and then had dinner and put Addie to bed. I am most rested. Going to stop typing now and add in some pictures and call it a day because I am being deafened by my mother in law watching the loudest film in the world 2 rooms away and attacked by mosquitos. DAMN YOU MOSQUITOS!

ALSO.... Our friend Sharon is being induced tomorrow! A little boy... she thinks he will be huge, like a 12lb baby. I think he'll be.... lets see... about 9lb 10oz. But I am rubbish at these things. Rusty says 10lb 2oz.


So without further a do... pictures:

Toad in the Hole amazingness

The girls giving their dads the run around

Addie being a ham ♥

Best picture ever. Addie's photo face cracks me up everytime!

Another one of Addie's photo faces. The girls had so much fun at the park

Best friends for life holding hands... after some initial logistic problems with whose fingers went where

The beautiful miss Willa. When she is good shes very good, when she is not, she's a madam!



3 comments:

LHA said...

Sounds like a fab weekend! The photos of the girls are so sweet. But, I have to admit, the photo of the toad in the hole is too much for my English tummy to handle — freakin' delicious!

We were going to take one fo the boat/dinner/firework tours in Boston, but couldn't be arsed in the end and went to Portland, Maine, instead — neat city that I think you'd really like. Came home, cooked dinner and flopped in front of the TV to watch the fireworks. Fine by me!

Good luck with the job hunt!

Fawn and Flower said...

Aww little best friends. What dears. I think I'm going to need a recipe, miss! The toad thing looks sickly unhealthy, which is right up my alley! :)

Natalie said...

When I first saw that first pic of Addie it made me catch my breath. SO GROWN UP! I had to scroll up and down about 5 times to look at all the pictures of her properly. Alex she is so beautiful and so grown up and ohmygod where has the time gone?!

xx