Today, I had toast and jam for the first time in a year!
I had given up on 'bread' since shortly after I got to America and realised your bread sucks. I don't have time or the ingredients or the patience to make it. I just want to have a sandwich or some toast every so often I said, but no, it made me sick... maybe made worse by my stomach, maybe just because its gross. It smells yeasty and lasts FOR WEEKS before it goes off (which ain't right) and has a list of ingredients the length of my 37" inside legs.
However my lovely Patrick picked up some Light Oatmeal bread from Stop and Shop, from their "old bread" section. Basically it was going out of date. OUT OF DATE. THIS IS A GOOD SIGN when you consider my paragraph above.
It looked like bread (American slices are half the size of English ones) ... it smelled like bread... like English bread. American bread smells horrid and reminds me of when we lived near a brewery... yeasty and warm and gross. It wasn't quite (English) wholemeal or white, but inbetween, but was very nice buttered with a bit of jam. It needs to be heavily toasted though. Nothing worse than a bit of blanched toast!
So now I am waiting to see how it settles. I am a bit refluxy, but that is kinda normal. We'll see. But if it works, watch my weight go up again as start to eat more toasted sandwiches, egg and soldiers and SPAGHETTI HOOPS ON TOAST. Incidentally, the Stop and Shop near us has a small 'British' section and they had some Uk cans of Heinz beans and spaghetti! Although they wanted $8.30 for a can of Heinz Spaghettie (not the half size cans) not including Mass sales tax! But that is because all these imports are based on their weight. I think maybe I'd rather 8 packets of Fruit Pastilles! Haha!
We're watching Man Vs Food on The Travel Channel. This guy eats some interesting/tasty/ridiculous things, usually in bulk. Coralene would probably do them all dead easy, but just watching makes me feel a bit sick/food. Patrick is drooling eyes agog...
Thursday, 28 October 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








3 comments:
Couldn't agree more on the foul bread here — disgusting.
You need to hop up to the British Imports shop on Route 1 just north of Saugus — spaghetti (my fave food of all time) is only a couple of bucks!
There is one in Nashua too and another in Westford... the Westford one I think is cheaper than Nashua, which is odd when you consider sales tax in mass!
You could not be more right- every time I watch that program I think I could out-eat him (Adam something? All I ever think when I see him is that he looks like the dude from the Wonder Years).
Post a Comment