Tuesday, 12 July 2011

What a weekend and a bit about the weather

Hello everyone! Another poor update from yours truly. Well you know what kills blog productivity? Aside from actually doing things and going out, the heat.

Boy has it been hot here. I thought I would get used to it, but alas not. Last night I thought I had some tropical fever and would be dead by morning. But thankfully I did not have Dengue fever and live to tell another tale. Seriously though, it was 28˚C/83˚F at 1am in the morning. 28 degrees. I cannot function normally above 25˚. I left the dentist at 6pm last night (where I was given a clean bill of teeth after my paranoid flossing and weird tasting episodes) and it was 94˚F. That is 35.555555555(and so on)˚C. To make matters worse I got my period this morning, which makes a little sense to my writhing and moaning at the heat, because all those tampon and sanitary towel advertisements in the UK tell you that your body temperature can raise up to 2 whole degrees when you are having your lady times. I was so hot I even kicked off the sheet and took off my super light PJ bottoms, which is a huge deal for me. Anyone that knows me knows that I pretty much will wear heavy joggers to bed most of the year because I am so energy inefficient and spend a lot of my time saying how cold I am.

How is anyone supposed to get anything done? How can New England be SO COLD for a third of the year and then SO HOT for another third? I say a third because we went basically into snow, snow thaw and straight into the fucking tropics. People here really do need two different wardrobes and have to completely change them out, being for the most part used to this of kind weather.

I might sound like a retard but I am 31 years old and I can't just forget the habits and the nature of living in the UK, and the idea that you really can wear jeans and a t-shirt every day, all year round. You might be a little warmer on some days and a little cooler on others, but you just get used to it, or layer up. If anything you layer up with a hoodie and an umbrella (or as Addie calls them a rainbrella). I have/had one wardrobe which consisted of that. Jeans and a t-shirt. I'm so set in my ways I am actually rather frightened about the idea of shorts. Which really are all the range here. Little tiny ones. Even on fat people. Good for them that they can do that, and keep cool I guess, but I haven't the confidence. I'm not used to seeing so much of my own flesh!

Air conditioning might just save my life. If our air conditioning would work beyond the kitchen/front room area. Alas, it does not. So last night we turned it off and tried opening the windows for both Addie and ourselves, and using the fan. This was a bad idea that did not work and as a result our bedroom felt like it had been relocated into Satan's armpit. There was no breeze whatsoever and it felt like there was a man perched on our window ledge farting warm air into the room. At 1am I got in a right strop and got up and closed the windows and turned the A/C on, and then sneakily redirected the fan a little bit. My poor suffering husband. Left Addie as she was though and she woke up with sweaty bed head. Of course. The air con finally made it to the bedroom at about 7am and I was freezing and didn't want to get out from under the sheet. Typical!

Well, weather rant aside, Boston is treating us well. Adelaide is doing great with her pees and poops and cracks me up all day long. Back at work this week, from our working from home 2 weeks whilst Jeanine was away, I actually really miss her!

Last Thursday we drove out to Rochester NY to visit with friends. Such a nice day for a road trip! Patrick was sick though, he caught my horrid summer cold. Which felt shitty for me so I expect he is glad to be feeling better now. I did some driving and he took a nap for about 100 miles too. Addie was okay on the way there. She was pushing Patrick's buttons though, but she had a lot of toys and things to keep her occupied. I think she napped for a little bit in the end too. We had Burger King for lunch and she was acting up at the services.

GREAT FUN at Rochester seeing friends! We saw Dylan, George, Mary and Ben, Dude and Dylan's girlfriend Lex all the kids: Alorah, Charlie, Penny and Liam. We stayed at Dylan's and he kindly gave us his room, so we could have the pack and play in there too, and they slept on the futon couch.

Lots of grilling, kids playing, fun times, watching silly videos online, playing Wii, Play-Doh, convoy trips out, ice cream stands, all around good times. The last day we went to a rad flea market in Avon, and it was amazing. Rural flea markets really are the best. I grabbed a little Jesus picture and we also bought Addie a little Fisher Price little people Camper set (minus one chair for a bargain deal. All the kids got something, which is the fun of the flea! I think Patrick might have been the only person to not come out with something... I wanted to have bought more, but I forgot to got cash, and it was about 30˚C out. Afterwards we went to the South Wedge Diner! Patrick got a skillet, which I know he was looking forward to, and I got a breakfast. Addie had a Mickey Mouse blueberry pancake but she didn't eat it, just licked the cream off it. Bloody child. I should have just asked for the server to give her a bowl of spray cream or something!!! We left there and headed home. We had planned to leave at 7am to get back to Boston for sensible timing, getting things ready for the week ahead, maybe some groceries, laundry etc, but no. We finally left there at 3pm, and then drove back. Got stuck on the Pike in traffic and then forgot money for the toll. We scrapped up $10 in change but the toll was $12, so we sheepishly apologized and I'll send the money this week. Whoops. Finally got home at 11pm. Addie played with her Camper Van the whole way. When she fell asleep I took it off her, and then when she woke up it got dark so I put Peppa Pig on and gave her some headphones. BEST PURCHASES EVER, that laptop, the headphones and now that camper van. The completist in Patrick and the OCDness in me means that we are now going to source out more of those FP old toys. I loved them as kids so I am super glad that she likes them too.

Back to work this week. Same old, I did miss the place though.

Wonder if I could find a super nice/fun job if we moved to Rochester? Looking at the market there, unlikely. It looked pretty bad when I looked on Sunday. But houses are so cheap! Maybe in 5 years Patrick will want to support me and I can be a house wife and pop out babies and make him nice dinners! Hahaha! Unlikely because I am a terrible cook!!!

I am also covered in mosquito bites. Maybe I do have dengue fever after all?!?!

What is new with you guys then?

No comments: